Dropsy?

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Thanks everybody. Did a good cleaning of the filters today and about a 30% water change. The filters were a mess. I will need to really keep up on them till we get the other pond up and running again. I had the new bog framed out yesterday and was getting ready to put the liner in when I got stung. Final count of stings is 35-40! Hubby got stung by one last Friday and his foot is so swollen he can't get a shoe on. He went to the doctor today and they put him off work till next week! They also put him on the same steroid treatment I got. My swelling and redness is gone, just the itching to deal with. Watch out for these bad bad bugs!

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Good thing you were not allergic to them! that is one heck of a lot of stings.

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
So sorry to hear about you and your fish. Always sad to lose a loved pet, and that's no joke about that many stings! I've been popped by one or two, I can't even begin to imagine being bitten that many times. Maybe a little good news to report, Supposedly getting the water conditions better is the best plan of action as (From what I read it is not contagious in Koi), Don't know that is 100% correct but at least it is hope!:)

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I checked with the local Tractor supply and they don't carry the antibiotic capsules. I found a web site California Pet Pharmacy that has bottles of 250mg 60ct for under $10.
2 bottles ordered just in case. Maybe someone else may need to order from them.

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
My Tetra encyclopedia of koi states that a bacterial dropsy is contagious so I'm prepared if necessary. I have a lot of koi that are scaleless so I will be keeping a close eye out for bloating. Right now I can't even get to my pond. Both paths have yellow jacket nests so going out to get a case of bug spray!

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Yikes can't blame you there and would not want to get stung at all ever again after what you went through :squint:

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I would probably end up in the er also! Tend to react to the stings.

That hornet spray works great. You can stand back and wipe them out. I had them in a rock wall, found the crack and sprayed away, that nest is the one that got me.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
They don't effect me so bad that I would go to the hospital but I remember when living in Michigan one summer while laying in the backyard soaking up some rays with my toes out in the open I felt a little itch between my big toe and the one next to it so wiggled my toes to relieve the itch.........................oh ma ma, smooth move Exlax, a yellow jacket bit me right in the middle and my foot swole up to the size of Texas but fortunately just for a couple days
_pokenest.gif

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
Ladies! Would you please stop hyjacking threads for chatting about stuff unrelated to the thread topic. People who post threads do not want to read through all the noise to find answers to their questions.

Feel free to start a CHAT thread...
If necessary, I will ask Ian to start one just for you.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Sorry mrsclem if you thought I was hijacking telling you about the hornet spray, which works great.

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
j.w said:
So if we want to start a thread about dropsy and yellow jackets at the same time it's ok as long as we call the thread dropsy and yellow jackets or do we need to start a separate thread on just the yellow jackets? Just trying to figure this out. I'm thinking that the dropsy belongs in the fish illness section and bees in the chit chat..... and are we allowed to say anything at all in a thread that has nothing to do w/ the thread at all ever, I mean where do you draw the line cuz like you say everyone is doing it cuz it just comes natural like in a pleasant conversation w/ someone :lol:

I understand what your asking, I was reserved about getting in this but at the same time we need to do or say something. Your exactly right. Dropsy should be in Illness and be treated with the respect to get information about dropsy. If you make a thread in Chit Chat, I can see where the thread can and should take it's own twists and turns.
One problem were having is that we have to go through and read every post. One to make sure things stay in line which I am very happy to say we have here very little issues with needing to warn anyone about foul language or personal insults and spam here is almost non-existent. But that's why were here to try and help keep the site flowing smoothly. None of the four of us want to police you the members. This site is fun to come to and we want to keep it that way. We just need to try and keep posts of beneficial information more on track so everyone can benefit from them when it comes time to need to search and find information.

Ask a Question