Egg laden Koi won't lay eggs

Reaction score
Country
United States
Here’s a question: the bound egg theory caused me to make a wild assumption that this fish is a female.

What’s the best method to determine sex?

If this is a male fish, then this is obviously a tumor?

And if it’s a tumor, then there is nothing left to do?

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
I think someone here will know how to tell the sex. I don't have koi, sorry.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Here’s a question: the bound egg theory caused me to make a wild assumption that this fish is a female.

What’s the best method to determine sex?

If this is a male fish, then this is obviously a tumor?

And if it’s a tumor, then there is nothing left to do?
it's difficult to tell sex among goldies and koi; koi females will be shaped a bit deeper in the belly and males are slimmer. But it takes 5 years, give or take, to figure this out and the easier is to watch behavior. If goldfish, I got nothin; again, behavior. Males chase females, so...

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Male koi are leaner looking, not as round as females. Their pectoral find tend to have more color than a female's and have a more pointed shape to them. A female has a more rounded fin shape.

The female vent is usually dark pink and round and it protrudes slightly. Male vents are usually indented somewhat. Females have outies, males have innies.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Country
United States
Ok, found the time today to capture and pull the fish, some photos attached. I also watched this video, and still cannot tell if this is a male or female. The pectoral fins and gills felt smooth, but it is not mating season. The belly felt rather soft, no hard lumps.

82E06319-2DF5-45D0-B741-5CB74E93EA83.jpeg
D4E0498A-E6D1-4370-ACAD-3CE17ACD6E3C.jpeg
B3C818F1-9D65-4C91-B1F2-83AF4A6718F0.jpeg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
3b
Country
Canada
Check with your local vet clinic to see if there is a vet in your area that specializes in aquatic medicine.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Check with your local vet clinic to see if there is a vet in your area that specializes in aquatic medicine.

Unfortunately, we do not have anyone local who handles aquatic medicine. That's the first thing we looked into.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Thanks so much for the video! I actually learned that most of the male/female indicators are myth and not 100%. But I liked that he showed the difference in the vent area on both, and especially the rough gills and first bone on the pectoral fins. I’d guess those are the best indicators, but only if you plan to catch your fish to know for sure.
As to your fish, if your closeup picture is of the vent, I’d guess that it’s a male. Did you try putting pressure and sliding your fingers towards the vent to see if white sperm substance came out? If so, it’s definitely a male. And, if it is a male, then I’d guess it has more of an issue than first assumed. BUT, if it’s swimming around and healthy acting, maybe not a huge problem at this time.
One other thing I wondered, but I’m sure you have thought of this, where are you located, and if you are where it’s getting cooler/cold, how long ago did you stop feeding? Maybe this fish doesn’t know when to stop eating …
Good luck! I hope you get it figured out.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Thanks so much for the video! I actually learned that most of the male/female indicators are myth and not 100%. But I liked that he showed the difference in the vent area on both, and especially the rough gills and first bone on the pectoral fins. I’d guess those are the best indicators, but only if you plan to catch your fish to know for sure.
As to your fish, if your closeup picture is of the vent, I’d guess that it’s a male. Did you try putting pressure and sliding your fingers towards the vent to see if white sperm substance came out? If so, it’s definitely a male. And, if it is a male, then I’d guess it has more of an issue than first assumed. BUT, if it’s swimming around and healthy acting, maybe not a huge problem at this time.
One other thing I wondered, but I’m sure you have thought of this, where are you located, and if you are where it’s getting cooler/cold, how long ago did you stop feeding? Maybe this fish doesn’t know when to stop eating …
Good luck! I hope you get it figured out.

With its tummy so bloated in the vent area of my fish, I really couldn't duplicate his actions with my fingers.

Water temp is now 55F and I've switched to a wheat germ based diet once per day, half a cup for the entire pond of 6 fish.

Will stop feeding once water temp is a 40F.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Just a thought, but I’d quit feeding altogether. Once the water goes below 55 degrees, the fish don’t need much and what they need they can get from the pond itself. And the fact that the one fish is so bloated, I have to wonder if smashed peas wouldn’t help it out! I’d sure give it a try. Maybe if you stop feeding for a few days, the fish will be more likely to come eat the peas.
Good luck! I sure hope it gets better.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I have to wonder if there is any need to do anything. If it is a tumor, there is nothing that can be done anyway. If the fish is eggbound, it will either absorb the eggs, or perhaps expel them or neither of those options. Trying to express them yourself would be risky, in my opinion, without doing more damage to the fish.

I would let the poor fish be and let nature take its course.

Ask a Question