Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Hello and welcome!

There’s not a lot of information regarding propagation by seed. In the USA, this is a highly invasive plant…..and banned almost everywhere. I mean, you can do what you want to do (via more internet research), but I have to wonder why? Just curious…..

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Hello turtle1.gif
and welcome @Solonina

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
How to germinate the seeds of this floating water plant ?
I found this but it all sounds like too much time and trouble I.M.O!

Going the Seed Route: A Longer, Rewarding Path​

🌱 Harvesting Seeds Like a Pro​

After the floral fanfare ends, your Water Hyacinth's seeds are ripe for the taking. Timing is everything; wait too long, and you'll miss the boat. The seeds are tiny, so handle with care. Dry them out before storing in a cool, dry place. Think of it as your botanical savings account – a small investment now for a lush payoff later.

🌱 From Seed to Sprout: The Germination Game​

Germination is not a sprint; it's a marathon. Patience is your ally. Sow your seeds in a seed-starting mix that's kept warm and moist, like a tropical retreat for your future sprouts. Oxygen and water are the lifeblood of germination, so don't suffocate your seeds with overzealous soil-patting. A greenhouse or a simple warm indoor spot can become your nursery. Watch as your seeds defy the odds, sprouting into the aquatic wonders they are destined to be.

🌼 Seed Propagation​

Seed propagation is for the patient gardener. To start:

1. Collect seeds from spent flower heads after they dry.
  2. Sow seeds in a well-draining medium and keep moist.
  3. Germination can be slow, and it may take several years for seed-grown hyacinths to bloom.

Expect a timeline stretching over 4-5 years before seeing flowers from seeds.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
It's such a pretty plant when it blooms. Last year I only got a couple of blooms but I had to compost buckets and buckets of the plant. It reproduces faster than rabbits.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi. I live in England, and I have kept the Eichornia (Water Hyacinth) for sixty years or more but the EU banned the plant in 2006 as it became too invasive in Spain, Greece etc., But in our cold country, this need not have applied. We are no longer in the EU but the ban has not been lifted and so I am stuck.

I used to buy one from an aquatic store and, when the warmer months start, I would put it on a pond, where it spreads and covers the pond in a month. It dies around late September, and have to start again the next year. But the EU banned the plant in 2006 as it causes severe infestation in countries such as Spain, Greece etc., We are no longer in the EU but the ban is still active. Hence why I am trying to grow from seed. If I was in Florida, as of old, I would grab a couple off the Everglades and mail them to me and hope they got through our lax borders. All my Floraid friends have now died and so I am stuck. David

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I found this but it all sounds like too much time and trouble I.M.O!

Going the Seed Route: A Longer, Rewarding Path​

🌱 Harvesting Seeds Like a Pro​

After the floral fanfare ends, your Water Hyacinth's seeds are ripe for the taking. Timing is everything; wait too long, and you'll miss the boat. The seeds are tiny, so handle with care. Dry them out before storing in a cool, dry place. Think of it as your botanical savings account – a small investment now for a lush payoff later.

🌱 From Seed to Sprout: The Germination Game​

Germination is not a sprint; it's a marathon. Patience is your ally. Sow your seeds in a seed-starting mix that's kept warm and moist, like a tropical retreat for your future sprouts. Oxygen and water are the lifeblood of germination, so don't suffocate your seeds with overzealous soil-patting. A greenhouse or a simple warm indoor spot can become your nursery. Watch as your seeds defy the odds, sprouting into the aquatic wonders they are destined to be.

🌼 Seed Propagation​

Seed propagation is for the patient gardener. To start:

1. Collect seeds from spent flower heads after they dry.
  2. Sow seeds in a well-draining medium and keep moist.
  3. Germination can be slow, and it may take several years for seed-grown hyacinths to bloom.

Expect a timeline stretching over 4-5 years before seeing flowers from seeds.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi and thanks for your info.
I have read this from the net before and wonder why they were advising to put the seeds in soil when it's are a water plant which only ever floats upon water and gets all its nutrients from the water's wild life - excreta etc., So I think this sounds like the advice for growing Hyacinth that is our garden plant and one which we would never bother growing from seed rather than from cuttings. David.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Hi and thanks for your info.
I have read this from the net before and wonder why they were advising to put the seeds in soil when it's are a water plant which only ever floats upon water and gets all its nutrients from the water's wild life - excreta etc., So I think this sounds like the advice for growing Hyacinth that is our garden plant and one which we would never bother growing from seed rather than from cuttings. David.
All I know is it said Water Hyacinth when I clicked on the link.

Ask a Question