Tropical Water Lily tempurature

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Hi,

I bought a tropical water lily which I am keeping in a large tub in the heated garage with a big grow light. It is growing well but starting to look tattered, it really needs to get in the pond. But I've never grown tropical water lilies, I know they like warmer temps than hardy obviously. What is a good temp to place the lily out in my pond? I'm in the southern coast of BC Canada, my temps dropped this week to highs of 62 during the day and lows in the high 40's. The pond water temp is staying in the high 50's, currently at 58.

Is that too cold to place it out? Should I wait another week for warmer temps?

Thanks!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I think you need to wait a bit longer. They like warmer water, at least 65 degrees, preferably 70 degrees. Probably will not kill them if you put them out now, but may stunt the growth.

Reaction score
Country
Canada
That's kind of what I figured, but darn it lol! Hopefully the weather will warm up next week cause I don't want to keep this lily indoors for too much longer, that can't be good for it either. There is algae starting to grow on it. The water itself is nice and clear. It's typical for June to be a cool month here, we had warmer weather earlier in May.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Check your water temp - it may be warmer than you think. Water cools and warms very slowly, so if you had warmer weather earlier the water is likely warm enough. I don't know about where you bought it, but here they don't start selling the tropicals until it's OK to put them in the pond.

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Check your water temp - it may be warmer than you think. Water cools and warms very slowly, so if you had warmer weather earlier the water is likely warm enough. I don't know about where you bought it, but here they don't start selling the tropicals until it's OK to put them in the pond.
Yeah the place I normally buy from sends plants out when it's ok to plant out, but this place is a new to me store and they shipped the hardy lily, a canna and the tropical lily all at the same time. So now I'm in a pickle. I have a pool water sensor in the pond to monitor the temp and it's currently 56.

Ask a Question