Water Lilies

Reaction score
I have a small pond. The water lilies i get come in a hanging pot that just sits on the bottom. Is there a
substrate that will stay put, hold the roots and not cloud the water? Thanks

Attachments

• IMG_0093.jpeg
    IMG_0093.jpeg
    378.1 KB · Views: 19

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
I have a small pond. The water lilies i get come in a hanging pot that just sits on the bottom. Is there a
substrate that will stay put, hold the roots and not cloud the water? Thanks
I've used plastic oil pan tubs or similar type shallow tubs filled w/100% clay kitty litter w/no additives from Walmart in big bags. I top it w/gravel on top to help keep fish from digging it out. Weighs down great! The kitty litter might cloud up a bit but it goes away pretty fast.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I've read that using pure clay kitty litter will also add minerals to the water which can be beneficial to the fish - so win win. It can be tricky to use though as it does like to float out of the pot. I have learned to get the clay wet before putting it in the pond. Plant it, wet it down really good and wait a while, then slowly put it in the pond. And as @j.w said - fill the top with gravel or nosy fish will get in and just dig the whole thing up!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
The kitty litter works great for us. But the goldfish do tend to "groom" it and drop some of it on the bottom.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
The kitty litter works great for us. But the goldfish do tend to "groom" it and drop some of it on the bottom.
LIke @Lisak1 said, it won't hurt anything laying on the bottom and is good for the water and fish do love picking at things on the bottom of the pond.
Keeps them out of trouble :love:

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I've read that using pure clay kitty litter will also add minerals to the water which can be beneficial to the fish - so win win. It can be tricky to use though as it does like to float out of the pot. I have learned to get the clay wet before putting it in the pond. Plant it, wet it down really good and wait a while, then slowly put it in the pond. And as @j.w said - fill the top with gravel or nosy fish will get in and just dig the whole thing up!
So wish I saw that advice before I put my first water lillies in two weeks ago. I was using a large fabric pot (wanted the flexibility of the pot over the pan). Was leaning over the edge of the pond to put it in the water when all the kitty litter started to move around, I was off balance and half the bag poured out. What a mess. Worse part was thinking "If @GBBUDD had seen that he would have had a big laugh at the stupid lawyer"

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
The story worked by it's self,, Made my morning lol

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Over a lot of years, I have litter on the pond bottom, no issues.

Usually me dumping some, a bit of goldfish grooming, never tried to stop that. I have over 15 lily pots, so they have a lot to choose from.

Ask a Question