addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
last pond caretaker said to do a "deep clean" in the spring.
NEVER!

With a bog you can also dump the uv light

With thought you could incorporate the waterfall box, but also the bog would be a waterfall back into the pond

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b/10a
Country
United States
Welcome to the group. I'm a newbie, too, and enjoying the different opinions on the Best Way to do a Pond.

AndyZoner

Fledgling Pond Caretaker
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
It's been a while, but we've been busy (I hinted I needed some help with the pond chemistry and my husband is now fully invested in maintaining the pond - score!). I added a bunch of plants (hornwort, water hyacinth, three water lilies, water irises and 4 leaf water clover).

In the last month, we've gone through the nitrogen cycle and the pond has finally cleared! We do have the UV going as well as monthly barley extract (only using the extract until it runs out - I don't plan on buying it again). We're going to turn off the UV next week and see if we have enough plants to keep the water clear.

Still planning on adding a bog next year, but I'm super happy with how the pond is looking right now. I think it'll only get better as the 2 new water lilies fill out.

Attachments

• Pond 1.JPG
    Pond 1.JPG
    328.9 KB · Views: 43
  • Pond 2.JPG
    Pond 2.JPG
    323.5 KB · Views: 46
  • Pond 3.JPG
    Pond 3.JPG
    343.9 KB · Views: 43

Ask a Question