Equipment Homework

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
If you had some explanation as to what was going on with the logs, we might be able to respond. Are these artificial and part of your plan?

Reaction score
Oh... The area will be completely clear for the all the equipment. It's just a bunch of junk that is stored there currently.

The logs will hopefully be cut and shaped to sit on for the back yard.

:beerchug:

Reaction score
Oh... The area will be completely clear for the all the equipment. It's just a bunch of junk that is stored there currently.

The logs will hopefully be cut and shaped to sit on for the back yard.

:beerchug:

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
What are you asking us to respond on? You have built a pool which appears to be for fish. I am at a loss to find anything to respond to other than the concrete folks did a nice job.
You have not explained any of your plans/engineering for this pool.

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
What are you asking us to respond on? You have built a pool which appears to be for fish. I am at a loss to find anything to respond to other than the concrete folks did a nice job.
You have not explained any of your plans/engineering for this pool.

Reaction score
With the space shown, I would like this forum's opinion on different filtration routes to take with a budget of $2,500-$3,000.

Reaction score
With the space shown, I would like this forum's opinion on different filtration routes to take with a budget of $2,500-$3,000.

Reaction score
Not quite sure why my thread stopped getting help, especially when I've added pictures to help.

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
Patience
For one thing it looks like you are building a pool or spa. I take it that you intend this concrete structure to be for Koi.
Your photos make perfect sense to you but not necessarily to us. For one thing they are very busy and redundant. Maybe less photos and more explanation on each would get you better responses. Removing your firewood may also help.
This forum is always helpful regardless of your build, but we need to have something to work with.

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
put together a list of questions you have....if your looking for DIY tips theres some good filter build threads in the DIY forum.
are you looking for a external pump recommendation?
filter brand?...type?...
etc...

Reaction score
DrDave said:
Patience
For one thing it looks like you are building a pool or spa. I take it that you intend this concrete structure to be for Koi.
Your photos make perfect sense to you but not necessarily to us. For one thing they are very busy and redundant. Maybe less photos and more explanation on each would get you better responses. Removing your firewood may also help.
This forum is always helpful regardless of your build, but we need to have something to work with.

While the shape and look of the pond has an industrial look, its function is still there. I believe the proper drainage is setup with the proper depth for predator and adequate growth.

I don't want to sound like I'm being defensive, but it seems like you're hounding me about some really basic things here.

The title thread and my posts explained that I need some equipment advice with the given piping and work area size- which I've titled and photographed in the thread. This is my brothers house as I've explained and there's a bit too much work to be done just for a clear photo of the work area- which can be visualized with minimal effort.

koiguy1969 said:
put together a list of questions you have....if your looking for DIY tips theres some good filter build threads in the DIY forum.
are you looking for a external pump recommendation?
filter brand?...type?...
etc...

I think I'm curious about what different filtration systems are available for the space we have. After we decide on a route to take, I'm sure I'll spend most of my time reading on the specific DIY for each piece of the entire system.

Right now I am under the impression that for the clearest water and simplest method, we could use a vortex prefilter >> mechanical filtration >> biological filtration >> UV >> sand filter >> to pond

The mechanical and biological could be made from one or two large drums and we can use a small sand/silca filter afterwardss.

I'm not sure where we can use gravity or pressure to move the water, but I guess I haven't gotten there yet so I'll worry about that later.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
if you want a powerful filtration system for a lot less money and you are comfortable working with concrete, you can save a ton of money and build your own. the other requirement is having the space to locate the filter. ours is a concrete block filter and cost us about $250 for the concrete shell. we use matala, bioballs and k-1 kaldness in it, and that stuff cost us about the same as the shell. we also use a uv for algae. i'd estimate this system can handle up to 200 pounds of fish in mid-summer and produces clear water. if you want to know more, let me know.

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
Are you going with a submersable pump(s)? Or an external?
Submersable in pond is pressure fed
bottom drain etc.. Uses an external pump with gravity feed to filtration

Reaction score
koikeepr said:
I do think that's a fair statement, Otter. There are probably cheaper alternatives to the standard $150+ blower. I always toss back and forth the idea of a S/G filter, but the thought of hauling out a shop vac keeps me away. I just don't need the extra work. But, a nice blower sitting on top that you just turn on and blow for a minute is probably the easy way to go if you've got the extra pennies. It sure is nice to have really, really, finely filtered water for those that aim for that level of great quality H2O. If you want gin clear, that's certainly the way to achieve it.
I know this thread is old, but I'm currently looking into buying a blower for my filter, except that I have no idea what to look for. Does anyone know if they are complicated to install. I am currently using a Hayward pool filter with sinking media. Any help would be appreciated.

Laura

Ask a Question