Essential Equipment for Backyard Ponds

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5B
Country
United States
I believe I have a very simple pond in regards to equipment - overflow box with net, then a sheet of densely stranded plastic fiber, then the water is pumped back into the pond.

What equipment do you consider a must for proper pond husbandry and why?

Thanks,

Mike

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
A good testing kit (liquid is preferred to strips -- more accurate and consistent results) to be sure your water is balanced and healthy for the fish.

Pump to circulate and aid in oxygenating the water.

Filtration. "Biological" is essential for converting waste (opinions vary on what type).

Depending on where you live, a heater to keep a hole in the winter ice (for gas exchange).

Air pump for circulation & oxygenation, as well as keeping a hole in the ice during winter.

Predator-control (varies) / netting to keep leaves to a minimum.

With anything you have, the easier (less complicated) it is to use and maintain, the more likely you'll use it. Been there-done that :)

Reaction score
I think TM hit on all the major things ... I am still learning, but think circulation and a home for the good bacterias are at the top of the list. I think some of the items used will depend on the situation and what one wants from the pond.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
mine is quilt batting and my beloved lava rock filter and plants

Reaction score
Depends on the pond.

This was my 30 gal pond, 10-12" deep. Kept mosquitofish, fed them once in awhile, water was added from the lawn sprinklers. I had a small pump that I ran sometimes for aesthetic reasons. Cleaned with a $3 minnow net. Ran for several years. Clearest, cleanest and one of the most fav ponds I ever ran.
small_pond1.jpg

Next to the 30 gal pond was a 7,600 gal pond made of 6 connected ponds. Low fish load, no filters of any kind on a permanent basis (lots of temp filters of many kinds used for testing). Single 900 GPH pump. Source water was high KH and GH so testing wasn't really a requirement, but always good to know.
angel_trumpet.jpg

When I was growing fry in a 50 gal pond I needed a air pump and a 100 GPH water pump, lots of food so a good bio filter that was tested for performance, good mechanical cleaning, water temp and parameters were tested almost daily and adjusted as needed. Very high fish load, very high equipment needs.

"What equipment do you consider a must for proper pond husbandry and why?" IMO is has to the human brain and a willingness to use the cognitive functions rather than relay only on subconscious (imagination, myth) parts. Subconscious is important, but being ruled strictly by that makes for a poor pond imo.

Ask a Question