Evaporation

Reaction score
Does any one have any type of figure on how much evaporation one can expect per day or even a week. ot sure if i am loosing water to the sun or just evaporating due to natural lose.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I would loose about an inch a day above 95 degrees from the two filters and two waterfalls and sometimes even more if it was really windy and the sun is really a hot sun and no clouds in the sky

Reaction score
Yes that is about what i am loosing it does not seem i have any types of leaks. it has really been a hot summer and blue skies here in wisconsin. But my fish have been growing like weeds to, the sun must seem to help them two. This is the first year i had koi in the pond previous years i had lake fish but they are hard to see with the lilly pads i have in there they get pretty thick.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
With the surface area I have, I can lose an inch during a summer day, sometimes more. I have the pond on a electric sprinkler system, automatically adds water every other day.

Julia

My pond w/ tong,buyog,snow,skai,bubbles&ela
Reaction score
I loose an inch a day at 80 degrees and add water twice a week.

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
For the US a inch a day is about the max someone should lose. Even at 95 degree heat and the large pond I have 1" of loss in a 24 hr period is the most extreme I have seen. Usually 1/4" to 1/2" a day is about average.

Reaction score
Evaporation is a very localized event. Even your neighbor's pond may lose a different amount. If you fill a pretty straight sided container with pond water and set it in the pond, even floated if it can't get under the falls, the evaporation rate can be measure very closely for a given period of time.

Ask a Question