evaporation?

Reaction score
Country
United States
Joining this conversation late... but have a relevant question regarding some of the comments. Why do cold, winter windy days increase evaporation more than say... a warm spring or summer day? Wouldn't cold weather help retain more water? I'm noticing a good drop in water from what I believe is evaporation in my new pond as well. Seems owning a waterfall pond will cost more in water bill than watering a large lawn. :eek: Sure glad I installed artificial turf to help offset the water usage in the pond!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
2a
Country
Canada
Joining this conversation late... but have a relevant question regarding some of the comments. Why do cold, winter windy days increase evaporation more than say... a warm spring or summer day? Wouldn't cold weather help retain more water? I'm noticing a good drop in water from what I believe is evaporation in my new pond as well. Seems owning a waterfall pond will cost more in water bill than watering a large lawn. :eek: Sure glad I installed artificial turf to help offset the water usage in the pond!
Cold air holds less moisture than warm air but when your pond water is warmer than the air temperature, the air directly above the pond warms and so increases evaporation from the pond.
Warm spring or summer days can also cause high evaporation. Check your local weather conditions for relative humidity levels.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
i have same bags , almost inch in 3 days , i assume it depends on surface area how much u have compared to depth , , sun heat , dryness , wind , movement of water , splashes .

Last edited:
Reaction score
Country
United States
Cold air holds less moisture than warm air but when your pond water is warmer than the air temperature, the air directly above the pond warms and so increases evaporation from the pond.
Warm spring or summer days can also cause high evaporation. Check your local weather conditions for relative humidity levels.

Thanks for this explanation.

Reaction score
Country
United States
i have same bags , almost inch in 3 days , i assume it depends on surface area how much u have compared to depth , , sun heat , dryness , wind , movement of water , splashes .
Yes, I have a lot of shallow areas due to the size of my waterfall and the last couple days were slightly windy. I was pretty shocked to find how much water I had to add to get my pond back to the normal level.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
You know what helped me relax the most about my pond and the eternal "is it evaporation or is it a leak" anxiety - my patio pond. I know FOR SURE that it doesn't leak as that would be quite obvious. The water loss in my 30 gallon patio pond closely mimics the water loss in my big pond which reassures me that it's evaporation, not a leak.

So the moral of the story is - everyone get yourself a patio pond! haha!

Ask a Question