Existing waterlily getting way big...!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
In this 12'x8' pond I "inherited" back in 2010, the waterlily seems to be out of bounds!
I suspect neighbor's large dog may have disturbed the plant setting at some point, so my waterlily now behaves more like an (slightly) movable island.
I don't mind it, seems to be fun and healthy for the small fish load and frogs.

I just wonder if I should cull it a bit?
Same with extra iris growth, near my pump, actually, when I think of it.

Best method to trim?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
Welcome jay :) You have to cut water lily rhizomes , which is the "bulb" type growth at the base of the plant.....same with iris, divide their bulbs.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Thanks for the welcome- I also posted in the Introductions sub-forum.

I did trim some, working from the edge of the pond, very tough with irises. I guess more trimming would require getting into the pond, which I never did, either too cold, or then too crowded!

Reaction score
Oh, get on that lily before it moves into your house! haha! Honestly though, they will grow bigger than you can imagine. I just finished un-potting and cutting down to size and re-potting my lilies yesterday. I do it every other year and those things were MONSTERS. Don't be afraid to use a big sharp tool - they can handle it! And I would get it in a pot so you have some hope of controlling it in the future.

When you cut it apart, as @Tula said, look for the tubers with growing tips (you'll know it when you see it). Cut them apart so each rhizome has a growing tip. You will now have multiple viable plants - pot them up separately or share with friends!

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Once a lily becomes a monster it is beyond heavy! I hard groom mine every other year a few grow very well they get cut every year.

Ask a Question