Existing waterlily getting way big...!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
In this 12'x8' pond I "inherited" back in 2010, the waterlily seems to be out of bounds!
I suspect neighbor's large dog may have disturbed the plant setting at some point, so my waterlily now behaves more like an (slightly) movable island.
I don't mind it, seems to be fun and healthy for the small fish load and frogs.

I just wonder if I should cull it a bit?
Same with extra iris growth, near my pump, actually, when I think of it.

Best method to trim?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
Welcome jay :) You have to cut water lily rhizomes , which is the "bulb" type growth at the base of the plant.....same with iris, divide their bulbs.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Thanks for the welcome- I also posted in the Introductions sub-forum.

I did trim some, working from the edge of the pond, very tough with irises. I guess more trimming would require getting into the pond, which I never did, either too cold, or then too crowded!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Oh, get on that lily before it moves into your house! haha! Honestly though, they will grow bigger than you can imagine. I just finished un-potting and cutting down to size and re-potting my lilies yesterday. I do it every other year and those things were MONSTERS. Don't be afraid to use a big sharp tool - they can handle it! And I would get it in a pot so you have some hope of controlling it in the future.

When you cut it apart, as @Tula said, look for the tubers with growing tips (you'll know it when you see it). Cut them apart so each rhizome has a growing tip. You will now have multiple viable plants - pot them up separately or share with friends!

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Once a lily becomes a monster it is beyond heavy! I hard groom mine every other year a few grow very well they get cut every year.

Ask a Question