Expiration Dates on API Pond Master Test Kit

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
I was checking these out the other day at my local big box pet store and saw that they had expiration dates. The ones I saw were dated 06/2017.

Do the test chemicals become unreliable with age? OR as in most cases do they last much longer than the expiration date stamped?

TIA

Ed

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I was checking these out the other day at my local big box pet store and saw that they had expiration dates. The ones I saw were dated 06/2017.

Do the test chemicals become unreliable with age? OR as in most cases do they last much longer than the expiration date stamped?

TIA

Ed
I don't know the answer to that, but there is a reason for an exp. date, so I wouldn't trust it past it's date. In fact, I only keep my reagents for one year after I open the bottles -- even if they haven't expired. You never know what environmental conditions those kits have been kept under from the time they left their distribution point.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
I'm also wary of milk that's gone beyond expiry.
I just do a smell test then taste test :whistle: We don't drink milk and only use it fro cooking so sometimes one small bottle stay in our refrigerator for a long while... some of the milk go bad before expire date and some stay fine a week later ;)

back to the kit... I havnt test my water for what feels like ages... I need to get a new kit then :(

What do you do to discard the chemical in the bottle?

morewater

President, Raccoon Haters International
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
Well, how do you discard the chemical that you placed in the cuvettes once you've got your water reading?

Reaction score
My cuvette contents just goes on the ground beside the pond. :whistle:
Does that make me a bad person?

Yes it does... you should mix it in your four week old milk drink it and then when it's ready to come out dispose of it in the cuvette (what ever that might be) or the ground next to the pond,

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
My cuvette contents just goes on the ground beside the pond. :whistle:
Does that make me a bad person?

That's the way that I have always disposed of test reagents. Better to give the soil microbes a chance to work on them than dumping them directly into the existing chemical soup that we call water.

morewater

President, Raccoon Haters International
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
Mitch, Mitch, Mitch. Shame on you, man.

Do you mean to tell us that you don't wear a Type 5 Bio-containment suit for those extremely volatile, corrosive, carcinogenic and, mutagenic chemicals and then dispose of them cryogenically in order to render them inert for long-term storage in ceramic containers in the Canadian shield?

Did you not refer to the MSDS for those compounds?

Tsk, tsk..............

(I hope nobody sees me peeing in the backyard).

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
2a
Country
Canada
Mitch, Mitch, Mitch. Shame on you, man.

Do you mean to tell us that you don't wear a Type 5 Bio-containment suit for those extremely volatile, corrosive, carcinogenic and, mutagenic chemicals and then dispose of them cryogenically in order to render them inert for long-term storage in ceramic containers in the Canadian shield?

Did you not refer to the MSDS for those compounds?

Tsk, tsk..............

(I hope nobody sees me peeing in the backyard).

You're right, you're right.
I need to do some environmental penance - you wouldn't know where I could buy a carbon credit by any chance?

Ask a Question