Just a few updates and pics of the pond

FredrikAnderson

Koi Herder
Reaction score
Here is my pond as it sits today:
NewFish009.jpg

The bottom 12" of the entire pond will be under the ground when I grade my backyard. I have added a gravel garden to the left of the falls that is feed with a 1" pipe with holes in it under the gravel. I haven't finished the small upper pond to the right yet. I haven't quit figured out how I want to finish it. I have 11 small koi in it and 1 7-8 inch goldfish. I upgraded my filter a little while back from a 16 gallon skippy to a 55 gallon one. The 16 was keeping everthing crystal clear with 6 small koi and the one goldfish but I wanted to be able to overstock it and allow for the fish to still get a little bigger without any conserns about water quality. I plan to buy a house with land fairly soon so I will be taking the fish with and building something on a whole new level at that point. In the mean time I am just trying to get the fish a little more friendly.

FredrikAnderson

Koi Herder
Reaction score
Thanks everyone for the coments.
I got the lilly about 4 weeks ago from someone that bought a house with a pond that was let go real bad and they were going to fill it in. There were a lot of lillys and the sold them off a 5 bucks each so I bought 2 (the best I could find was $15 elsewhere around here). I had to dig them out of the pond which was pretty much a mud bog. After I got them home and cleaned them up I found out that I had 4 lillys total. The one with the flower is on its 3 flower so far and had 2 more making their way to the surface. I have a second one in there that is doing well but no flowers have made it to the surface yet however, I do see some trying thou. The other 2 are rather small and I am still not sure how long it will take to get them really growing but I do see some growth. The cool thing today is that 2 of my water Hyiceth (I know I am spelling that wrong) pooped out flowers today which is fun to see.

FredrikAnderson

Koi Herder
Reaction score
Hey guys it has been a little while. This winter was wild. The pond got frozen over while I was out of town and my wife tried to melt her way thru but after a few inches she figure it was solid. When I got back to town and went to assess the situation (temp had gone back up by then) all I had was some brown water but low and behold I saw movement. I jumped into action and after I got the pond back to liveable did a head count and all eleven of my fish live.
I have been doing some work in the backyard and have got the garden and pond finished (at least for now), can't say that for the rest of the backyard but hey I have to leave something for myself to do when I am already out of extra time.
Here are some updated pics:
Transformation032.jpg

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Glad your fish survived! And your pond looks great. Love those big water fall boulders!

Ask a Question