Extension Cords

herzausstahl

herzausstahl
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
if youve got an air compressor you can blow out the line (hose) just like you would a sprinkler system....easy!!

see i thought about that, but would it clear the line all the way, but i guess it could enough to stop it from breaking

Here is a thought, try to follow. If you are already running electric so you are digging a ditch, run a pvc pipe in the ditch, where ever the low spot is put one of these automatic drain valves http://www.sprinkler...ainage-s/20.htm in it. Now for the end that is close to the faucet. It will come out
of the ditch and just put a MPT coupling (pic below). So now all you have to do it take a small piece of hose and screw it onto the end of the coupling then to the faucet. You could even put an automatic float valve on the other end to maintain pond level without you having to do anything. The drain valve only drains when the pressure drops in the line. It is similar to running a sprinkler system.

58fe13c1-ab12-460a-a38d-411e916b5c2f_100.jpg

yeah i suppose that would work, but at the same time seems like more work/hassle than just dragging the hose 40' off the real at a time :) its kind of become more a curiousity for me, how could I do it if I wanted too. using sprinkler line was one of my thoughts because I know they blow those out with a compresser (going along with koiguy's idea), but I didn't know they had these, pretty cool find

taherrmann4

Tmann
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Herz I have those drains on all my lines and they work well, don't have to blow my sprinkler lines. But I agree that it would be easier to run the hose. However if you are digging a trench anyway then it would be simple to just add this and would be a minimal cost. You could also put it on an automatic timer where it would fill up every few days and not have to worry about it.

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
i dont think it would have to get every drop...as long as the water has ample room to expand as it freezes. i dont anything with mine except open the second spicket and disconnect it from the wall spout. the second spicket is slightly higher, so most of the water drains.mine sits on the ground . the exposed part is covered with mulch. thats it. i can only say its worked for me for years. maybe 7 or 8 years trouble free.

brandonsdad02

They call me Ryan
Reaction score
I dug a trench from my house to the pond which was like 50 feet. I used direct burial uf romex wire. I ran 12/3 so I could have 2 circuits running out there. I have 2 sets of 2 gang outlet boxes with the inuse covers so they are safe. I was a electrician for 6 years. Works great.

herzausstahl

herzausstahl
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
I dug a trench from my house to the pond which was like 50 feet. I used direct burial uf romex wire. I ran 12/3 so I could have 2 circuits running out there. I have 2 sets of 2 gang outlet boxes with the inuse covers so they are safe. I was a electrician for 6 years. Works great.

That is what I was going to do, except with 12/2. How deep did you bury the cable and did you find an easy way to dig the trench? And probably just one 2 gang box is all I would need for it.

SE18

David V
Reaction score
If you run a cord (I do, for now), ensure it's buried. If you're worried about rot, bury it in crusher fine, AKA slurry, quarter minus, breeze (it has dozens of names but basically is powder and crushed granite smaller than 1/4 inch. It is not rounded so it packs very well (the powder helps pack it), yet, it has the desireable property of good drainage.

BTW, you also can use it for succulents and other plants that need good drainage

I purchase mine at the local quarry for $30 a scoop. Since I only have a tacoma pickup, I take half a scoop at a time. Half a scoop will lower the leaf springs until the tire's almost hitting the well

I don't have deer in my yard, btw

Dave V

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
We rebuilt our pond last year and I used extension cords. My husband just put in outlets close to the pump. Happy!!! Sissy, I agree that the easiest way to get a husband to do something is to start doing it yourself, lol. Sorry guys. :)

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Very true it is there guilt that gets the best of them .You sort of have to push them along or guide them .Sometimes they are like chldren all there lives and need that little push lol really sorry guys but some men do need that or you can't get the going :LOL: :highfive: We women just stick together and git her done .

HARO

Pondcrastinator
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
There must be a law against this kind of sexual discrimination, or stereotyping, or whatever it's called!
John

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5a
Why do I have to be the one who always fixes the car? "Because you're the man." Yes, I'm the man who also does the dishes, washes the laundry, and cooks your dinner...

Hmm, that could be one of the reasons why she is my 'ex'. I don't do well with stereotypical roles. Your sex has nothing to do with your ability to change a spark plug. Just because someone doesn't *want* to learn how to do something does not mean they are not capable.

Oh wait, what was the topic again? :LOL:

Ask a Question