Fall Feeding

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a/b
Country
United States
--It has been established by several scientific studies that Koi (and Goldfish) continue to feed (and produce Ammonia) as water temperatures drop. Because lower temperatures slow their metabolic rate, the demand for food is curtailed but not eliminated.

Based on what I have read I have come to the conclusion not to change what I feed but rather the amount
@Meyer Jordan Can you give your opinion on wheat based food for cool weather feeding. My thoughts not based on scientific evidence is this is a marketing scheme from food companies. I don't know enough about the natural habitat for koi but I'm guessing the available food in the cooler weather doesn't switch from high protein to less protein. I would think the nutritional content available in the natural setting is consistent regardless of water temp. For that reason I question the logic for switching to a wheat based food during cooler seasons. It seems this is a common practice for koi ponds. I have read recommendations for switching food on this forum and other koi sites .

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
There is really no need to switch. The only true difference between regular and cool water feed is in protein content with the latter being at a lower level.
Depending on the natural ambient aquatic environment (none are identical), the availability of certain diet items may be considerably less during Fall and Winter months, in particular benthic insect larvae, a staple in the wild carp's diet. So, yes, the availability of protein may be diminished during these cooler periods, but also so is the demand.
Personally I would continue with whatever quality feed you offer during the warmer months. I would just offer less.

Ask a Question