Can you have a pond without a waterfall?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Like a pond with only a pump with the tube going back to the same pond and the tube will be submerged inside the pond. I don't find waterfalls to be very attractive like many people do. I like a still pond that resembles a wildlife pond or a marsh. The only reason I want the pump to be in there is so less mosquitoes. Is this possible? I'm going to line it 20x10ft probably. I ask this because I have never heard of seen any pond without a waterfall thats not a pumpless wildlife pond. Are there any negative outcomes to not having a waterfall?

Last edited:

Jhn

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
Are you going to have fish in the pond? Are you going to have plants in it? A still pond won’t lessen the mosquito population it will increase it, unless you have fish in the pond to eat the mosquito larvae.

If you don’t have proper circulation in pond, it can lead to detritus and waste accumulation. This leads to algae blooms and poor water quality.

You could do a pond with an upflow bog at one end of the pond that is barely above the ponds water level, so it gently spills back in through rocks. You can add a T to the return pipe and have a return jet underwater to adjust the flow through the bog. It will give the pond the appearance of being still or somewhat still, no waterfall, yet still have the necessary amount of circulation to have a healthy ecosystem.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Thanks for the Jhn. The T on the tube sounds like a good idea. But I won't be having any fish. Only plants and mostly all plants actually, and wildlife will be cool if they appear. Will that change your answer since there won't be any waste accumulation?

Ask a Question