Re-starting a pond in fall.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Hi everyone, I'd appreciate your help. My pond has been out of working order for about 6 weeks after a fish mishap. I've been taking the time to rebuild my waterfall and enlarge the stream area leading to the pond. It will be ready to turn on and enjoy in the next few days, but I am concerned about the timing and season.
My questions are:
1) Should I wait until spring before adding new gold fish and in general, when can fish be added to a newly running pond?
2) Should I be adding plants at this time of year? Submerged, floating?
3) What can I do to get this fall pond fish ready?
Thanks for all your help!

Pond info:
1200 gal
Water kit for testing
Two pumps, one for a skimmer and and the other for the bio falls, plus a diy pre-filter for the bio falls pump

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Hello @Grin4joy,

It might also be helpful to know what type of fish you intend to stock as well as what state/planting zone you're in to give everyone more information to best help you.

My first thoughts concerning your questions:

1) Again, depending on the weather where you live, it may be best to allow your pond to run for 6-8 weeks, maybe longer, and keep monitoring the nitrogen cycle with your test kit. That way you can make sure your pond is at the optimum condition to add fish - which may very well be late Spring.

2) I don't have as much knowledge about what pond plants can go in late in the season, so hopefully someone can ring in. For me, in my area, it's just hard to FIND pond plants at this time of year. But by all means, if you can find suitable ones, add 'em.

3) I can't offer any shortcuts - I just know that patience is always best.

Good luck!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Thanks SF, I will put a few goldfish in until I know they are doing well. Next summer we will add 2-3 koi. We are in gardening zone 8b. I do already have a in marginal zone with well established plants and a submerged potted pickerel plant that has survived a few years. I had a hunch not to put fish in until next year, but I am so impatient. I love to sit/stand and stare at my fish. :)

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
That's great that you already have some established plants; and living in a warmer zone you just may be able to find more plants that can be added this time of year. Again, maybe others will ring in with good suggestions.

Yep, patience is definitely the key to success.

Perhaps you already know, and others may ring in, that 1,200 gallons isn't much room for koi; unless you intend to re-home them once they outgrow your pond. And they do grow fast! Our pond is 2,000 gallons, but we do not keep koi. Instead we have a lovely assortment of comets and shubunkins. They are extremely hardy fish, easy to keep, and are just as beautiful as koi.

Good luck with your remodeled pond.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
Given your zone, I'd definitely add the pond plants now. Only my opinion, but if you're willing to be diligent about testing your water, I think you could add a few goldfish.

My pond is 1700 gallons and I have 4 koi I've had over a dozen years. I religiously remove all off spring each year, as I know I'm at my limit.....I wish I had more room for them

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
koi get huge ,I know and wish someone had told me .Went from 1500 gallons to 2500 and then 3000 and now over 5000 and remember fish have lots of babies ,LOTS OF BABIES
You are lucky Sissy! My fish have spawned, but the eggs and babies always get eaten. Maybe next summer I'll remove the eggs and try raise them. Lol, already dreaming of next summer.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Maybe koigolds? The koi goldfish hybrids that are sterile. I lost my one koi due to whatever killed a bunch of my fish, so I’ll be looking for another one to try crossing with shubinkin once I get the pond moved and established.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I don't want babies ,I am trying to slowly get rid of most of the fish

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
I don't want babies ,I am trying to slowly get rid of most of the fish
What! The fish are half the fun of the pond! I’m looking to get a butterfly koi to cross with my shubbies to make koi goldfish, and then I’ll be posting some here to see if others want some.

Ask a Question