FEEDING BY WATER TEMPS.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
Only one problem here folks if you read many of the new generation of koi foods they say that you can infact feed down to 5c not that I would want too.
By new generation I'm talking foods specifically mixed with other ingrediants i'e paprika, Montmarrilionite clay , Garlic etc each food doing a specific job .
Some of the Prebiotic foods and the probiotic feeds also say you can feed at 5c personally I'll be sticking to the 10c level and above .

rgrds

Dave

Reaction score
IF our weather holds, I am thinking of starting to feed again in another week. Our pond temp is now at 50, and our spring food says 39-50*F, normal food at 50*F+ ... Today is only the second day in a row that both the temps are up and the fish are "awake" and "looking" but there is plenty of algae for them to snack on. We got into the mid 60s, and then last Friday, I woke up to 6" of snow LOL.

Reaction score
as far as the issue of water quality, my thinking is that's why they said to stop feeding when water temp is 80 or above...you may want to stop at say 75 give or take if that is a concern...

HTH

Howard
Reaction score
Fish are cold blooded so as the temperature goes up so does their metabolic rate. They need the food.

If you water is getting too hot see if you can rig some shade. Plants help.

The rootl problem is getting enough oxygen to the fish. I have a large shallow pond with no filtration and a fish load determined by nature. As long as I keep the air on during hot weather the fish are ok. I need to point out that the larger a fish is the less it can tolerate low oxygen levels.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
My water has been over 50' for a couple of weeks and I have fed them cold water food about once every other day. It was 64 today and probably wont drop below 55 again till this fall.

crsublette

coyotes call me Charles
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
The biggest tip I have read about feeding fish is to make sure the fish's excrement does not float. If it floats, then the fish is not fully digesting the food and would require less food or a different food. I've never ran into this problem so maybe someone with more experience can share their thoughts.

Ask a Question