sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I still keep looking at that and feeding them more during hot temps won't that produce more waste which will also add nutrients to the water and cause water quality problems and cause fish to die .I read on other sights that say you should feed them a lot less when temps are high .

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
My cold weather food says it is safe to feed at 40 degrees. Won't do it. With this weather it will be May before I can feed them!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
2a
Country
Canada
Those recommendations mean that I shouldn't feed my koi for 7 months out of the year...
I haven't even seen my fish since October.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
saves money mitch but if fish turn you into the humane society you will be in fishy jail for neglect :razz:

crsublette

coyotes call me Charles
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
sissy said:
I still keep looking at that and feeding them more during hot temps won't that produce more waste which will also add nutrients to the water and cause water quality problems and cause fish to die .I read on other sights that say you should feed them a lot less when temps are high .
Water quality problems from feeding are entirely dependent on a pond's filtration quality and capabilities.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I would need a couple of large sized filters to clean the waste .Water gets hotter in the summer months and not sure feeding them that much will not cause more problems than people might like .Less oxygen during hotter months and plants using up even more oxygen and fish producing more waste sounds like something bad to me .I have 2 filters going and not sure I would want to make more work for myself .I stay with my safety zone and this way i won't have the headache of something going bad .

DrCase

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
I don't pay much attention to summer temps , My koi get fed at least two times a day

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
my main thing is my pond is in full sun all day and i even have to provide shade .Just don't have the time with all the yard work and the house to take care of .My neighbor has decided to either put in a pondless or a pond and stopped me by the mailbox today .They just moved in 2 weeks ago and neighbors next door to them told them i have a pond .

HARO

Pondcrastinator
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
sissy said:
saves money mitch but if fish turn you into the humane society you will be in fishy jail for neglect :razz:
Don't worry about it, Mitch. They'll be shivering too badly to dial the number!!! :LOL:
John

Reaction score
I soooo cant wait til we can start feeding the fish again. I miss spending time with them LOL. In the summer, I feed them all they want, 3-4 times a day .. then I wonder why hubby tells me the fish are fat LOL.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I wonder if they give a reward for turning you in Mitch .Better watch out :LOL:

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
build a green house over the pond and over heat it and they will think they are on a tropical vacation :LOL:

Ask a Question