Filter mats

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
United States
I have a 19,000 gallon lined pond with two Aquascape 1000 skimmers and two Aquascape 6000 spillways and KoiAir 2 aeration.
My question (I am new at this having just purchased the property last Summer) is whether or not to take the pads out of my spillways and clean them...I also have big bags of Bioballs in each. The pads are full of what looks like army green sludge but I don't want to destroy any of the good bacteria that is building up in the media (I just turned the falls on and added the mats and balls a week ago) Does anyone have any advise on this? Are you supposed to periodically clean the filter pads?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
I clean the filter pads in my skimmers on a regular basis (weekly or as needed depending on current pond conditions) but I only take the mats & bags of bioballs out & clean them once a year. (Either in late fall/early winter then leave everything in storage until spring, or early in the spring)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
United States
I clean the filter pads in my skimmers on a regular basis (weekly or as needed depending on current pond conditions) but I only take the mats & bags of bioballs out & clean them once a year. (Either in late fall/early winter then leave everything in storage until spring, or early in the spring)
That's what I was hoping to do but was wondering about the sludge...Do you have army green sludge on your spillway mats? I also clean my skimmer mats weekly like you do.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Yeah, the biofall mats do get pretty disgusting, but as long as the water flow isn't hampered I just leave them alone.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I clean the mats in my waterfall every two to three weeks. IMO, they are there for mechanical filtration. I clean the various biological media very rarely and except when shutting down the pond, never all at once.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
United States
I clean the mats in my waterfall every two to three weeks. IMO, they are there for mechanical filtration. I clean the various biological media very rarely and except when shutting down the pond, never all at once.
Well that is interesting...I guess that there are different opinions on this subject...Thank you for yours:) I think that I will clean just the mats only if they become an obstruction to flow due to build up of gook but will leave the bioballs alone....

Ask a Question