Filter pressure

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hello, again. After everyone's help here, with our pond waterfall water clarity. I thought we finally got it fixed.
However, the gauge on the external pressurized uv filter system, which has stayed around 3.5 psi, and which the manufacturer recommends never to go over 5 psi, has recently been around 9 psi.
We've followed all maintenance instructions, for backwashing, checked the uv chamber for debris, and I still don't know exactly what is the cause for this.
The only thing it might be is the submersible pump that feeds it.
Originally the sub pump was positioned close to a wall with the intake facing the wall at one side of pond, surrounded with the rocks on the bottom.
From what I read on the manufacturer website, it was designed to stand up, but pond isn't deep enough for that.
The pump goes into the same wall, up to uv filter and returns opposite side of pond.
We moved it to have the intake face the center of the pond and all of the intake above the rocks. This immediately made a big difference in water clarity.
Coincidentally, around the same time the pressure increased was noticed but didn't think it was connected.
I am attaching a picture that shows the filter system, which also shows a 3-way valve on the pipe coming from pump intake. It has always been opened all the way, but would closing some help with the pressure?
img20170516_212909.jpg

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
2a
Country
Canada
The only 2 things that could cause the pressure to exceed a normal level is for there to be a blockage in the outflow or an oversized pump.
Reducing the supply from the pump to the filter will help bring the pressure down but make sure there is no blockage in the outflow first.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Thanks for the information. We had repositioned the pump, trying to get water clear. It was at opposite side of return water, but the intake was pointed towards the wall about six inches away and the bottom rocks covered some of it. After turning 180 degrees back towards the center of the pond we immediately saw the change in water clarity. However it was about this time the psi increased, from an average of 3.5, for 5 years, and never over 5.0, to what we are getting now, around 8-9. The 3-way inline valve could be adjusted to slow intake?
As for Clogged outtake, what is the best way to test for clog?

Reaction score
Country
United States
Is it possible to unhook outflow and do this? Wouldn't the water just come out of filter through open connection? In the picture here, the out is on the left side.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
2a
Country
Canada
It depends on how accessible your outflow pipe is. Perhaps replace it with a separate piece of tubing you know is clear from obstruction so you can control where the water coming out of the filter.
Have you already checked that you have the correct size pump for your filter?

Reaction score
Country
United States
Sorry for my confusion.
If the filter system has 1 in hole and 1 out hole, and I remove out pvc, wouldn't the water just flow out of the open out hole with no pressure building up?
I could just remove out pvc connection and run plump snake through pvc?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
2a
Country
Canada
Sorry for my confusion.
If the filter system has 1 in hole and 1 out hole, and I remove out pvc, wouldn't the water just flow out of the open out hole with no pressure building up?
I could just remove out pvc connection and run plump snake through pvc?

Yes, that's the point.
If you have no pressure buildup with the outflow hose disconnected, you know you have a restriction somewhere in that outflow pipe.
Also try running your filter without any media, as Meyer Jordan mentioned, the pressure buildup may mean that you need to replace the filter media.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Finally. I figured out what was causing the psi problem and didn't see anything from manufacturer mentioning that this may be a problem.
In the picture I am attaching, it shows a piece referred to as a screen. Basically a pre-screen for incoming water, before going into media area.
The 1/8-1/4" holes in the screen were 80% clogged, with little snails and pine bark.
After cleaning the screen and some of the media, I have a current psi of 2.5
img20170518_210824.png

Reaction score
Country
United States
Exactly, but shouldn't need to be internet search savvy. The manufacturer and installer should list this as a possible maintenance issue. Maybe M Jordan and you can start a business. Ha.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Me again. I posted a new question titled Water Level, so please feel free to reply.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Yes, me again. I have a question about the outflow blockage you mentioned previously, as one of the reasons for high pressure.
What would be an easy way to test to see if this pipe is partially clogged?
With the submersible pump running there is good amount of return water.
Today I took apart, checked o-rings, uv ballast, etc, and reassembled the pressurized filter, taking notes and pictures, so I could go over with my parents.
I just so happened to run my hose into the outflow pipe to see what happens. I couldn't see the return in the pond, from my position so instead I decided to put a hose in the pond return and see what comes back up into filter.
I wrapped a towel around the hose and stuck it in the pipe, but when I went to check filter no water was coming out?
I didn't have a plumber snake with me.
I reassembled everything and it works the same.

When the outflow pipe leaves the filter , after about six inches there is a 90° elbow, turning towards the ground which is about 18" and I can see another 90°, turning towards the pond when it enters the ground. I'm guessing there would be more turns, so what do you suggest, to use to test?
Assuming there is a clog, then what is the best way to unclog?

Ask a Question