filters

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
Are you following the design described by birdman from Koiphen website. I've read his long thread and another s/g build thread on that site. They all rave about the polishing and increased bio filtration. Maybe you would consider a build thread on this site. Keep me updated. I'm looking to build one early to mid spring.
One answer I could not find is how it holds up in the winter? My weather is similiar to yours.

Yes, I'm using Steve's ( Birdman) plans. I have a Savio Living Pond filter that I drain and leave outside year round and that's what I'm planning on doing with this filter. I have a friend who glued cedar strips around the barrel, to improve it's appearance and I'm planning on doing that. It will also be placed behind a large hydrangea bush.

I will be using either a blower, or shop vac to flush it weekly.

I haven't decided where I plan to use it, in terms of sequence of filters. I could try just running it through the filter pads in my Savio skimmer, or I may use it after my Savio filter. Part of where I use it, depends on which pump I use.

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
The 2 build threads I read recommend this system placed after mechanical filtration for larger particles and using a air blower once a week to flush . Kent Wallace's build thread addresses this filters ability to stand alone for bio filtration based on the large surface area created by the media. I'm sure this is dependant practicing good maintenance..

Also keep in mind that these filters are utilized almost exclusively for dedicated Koi ponds (typically very low TSS levels) i.e. no plants. Not advisable for an eco-pond or hybrid system. Maintenance entirely too high.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a/b
Country
United States
Also keep in mind that these filters are utilized almost exclusively for dedicated Koi ponds (typically very low TSS levels) i.e. no plants. Not advisable for an eco-pond or hybrid system. Maintenance entirely too high.
Thanks for the input . I'm planning a second pond and am considering a dedicated Koi pond.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
If you have the space, an English style over and under 4 chamber filter is easy to build and maintain. No sand, just Matala pads, brushes and bioballs. Easy to clean. We used one for 12 years and it handles a huge fish weight.

Ask a Question