Finally bought plants....how to pot them?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I don't think there's anything special about the pea gravel from Home Depot and if pea gravel in general were a problem, we'd all be in trouble.

I'm with @poconojoe though - find a bulk dealer and don't waste money on the bagged stuff.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
What size river rock?
It's various sizes and shapes, mostly around 1/2"- 3/4", but probably not many larger than 1" round or oval.
The standard suggested size is 3/8", but many bogs are built with various sizes of gravel.
Some people start with larger and add smaller on top of that.
So, there are supposed rules, but those rules have been broken by many here who have had great results.
So, don't worry about specific sizes. The goal is to provide lots of surface area where the beneficial bacteria can colonize.
Smooth edges are vastly most important. You don't want any sharp edges that may damage the liner.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Thanks, will keep that in mind. Also one other question that we newbies might benefit from.. when we place gravel directly in the pond without an enclosed shelf(mine is open), will large stones be enough to hold the gravel in place? Even if you barrier with stones next each other, there’ll always be small gaps between it and I’m concerned that the gravel will keep spilling into the deeper part of the pond(especially if you have a pump that sucks in) and eventually all the gravel will spill, even if it’s slowly. Then I’m left with a floating plant!
I’m also wondering whether it’s a good idea to mix aquatic soil with gravel or will the soil dirty up the pond quick.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Larger stones should hold the gravel. Even if a little does fall in, it's no big deal.
Some people have gravel covering the whole pond.

Try to shake off most of the soil before planting anything directly in the gravel. Yes, soil can cloud the water if too much escapes. If you do decide you want some form of medium, use pure clay kitty litter. The cheap kind without any additives. The kitty litter may cloud the water temporarily, but should clear in a day.

Another option would be to plant in mesh bags. You can buy them or make them. Again, use kitty litter.

I think bare roots are better, no pots or mesh bags. The roots will have better contact with the water and the excess nutrients in the water.

Your submersible pump would be better off if it were not sitting on the bottom where it may pick up solid debris that may collect down there. I have a thin rope tied to mine. It's tied off to keep the pump suspended and it's a means of pulling the pump for any necessary maintenance. Naturally, never pull on the electrical cord to do this!

Reaction score
I have neglected having an abundance of plants for far too long and bought the following online. 1 of each,

Purple lobelia
Pink lobelia
Bog Bean
Bloody Dock
Dwarf Umbrella Palm
Aquatic Mint
Corkscrew Rush
Arrowhead
Aquatic Forget-me-not
Chinese Lizard tail

If I researched correctly then all the above plants are hardy and will hopefully survive through the cold winters in zone 7 and come back each spring. I currently have 3 hardy plants in the pond (for the past 2 years, Horsetail rush, variegated Sweetflag) using plastic pots that are wedged between the rocks and submerged just a bit over the top of the pot. The 3 plastic pots I have in there now have holes on the bottom to let the roots spread. I have no idea if these new plants will come with plastic pots but I dont think so.

Help me out here. Should I use plastic pots, fabric pots or just try to place these new plants in between the rocks with no pot? Kitty litter or maybe try Aquascape potting media?
I like plastic pots set on the shelf in the pond. I line the pot with coffee filters to keep the dirt in and add a layer of pea gravel over the top of the soil.

Reaction score
I have neglected having an abundance of plants for far too long and bought the following online. 1 of each,

Purple lobelia
Pink lobelia
Bog Bean
Bloody Dock
Dwarf Umbrella Palm
Aquatic Mint
Corkscrew Rush
Arrowhead
Aquatic Forget-me-not
Chinese Lizard tail

If I researched correctly then all the above plants are hardy and will hopefully survive through the cold winters in zone 7 and come back each spring. I currently have 3 hardy plants in the pond (for the past 2 years, Horsetail rush, variegated Sweetflag) using plastic pots that are wedged between the rocks and submerged just a bit over the top of the pot. The 3 plastic pots I have in there now have holes on the bottom to let the roots spread. I have no idea if these new plants will come with plastic pots but I dont think so.

Help me out here. Should I use plastic pots, fabric pots or just try to place these new plants in between the rocks with no pot? Kitty litter or maybe try Aquascape potting media?

Reaction score
Shalom, I use floating islands; have taken the small HDPE pond liners, drilled many holes, use great stuff around the edge for flotation. Also many land plants can be used: marigolds, impatiens, hosta, creeping jenny, all do well. Several others will also, one trick is us use soil in the pot but plant so the crown of the stem is always above the waterline( mount up the plant). Impatiens can easily be planted in the gravel and do very well. I found a red hibiscis at Pike's that's hardy( zone 7, Atlanta), it's really been nice. Iris will do well.

Ask a Question