Finally got a Bull Frog

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Last year I as a first year Ponder.....one thing I wanted is to have some Bull Frogs.....nothing happened last year but this year I have gone through the Toads breeding.....and I think the Tree frogs have done their thing......but I noticed this year....when everything came out of hibernation..... I had a huge Bull Frog that was hanging out.....he is very discreet......if I go out at night with the flashlight......I will see him sitting on the ledge......so last night my wish came true......after Dark I heard the song from my youth.....growing up on a Southern farm with cattle ponds all around....BRA.....ROOMPUH.....ROOMPUH.....the music of Bull Frog love.....I am happy.....Jimmy

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Glad your dream came true! Would love to hear them or any frogs every night. None right now as not warm enough for them yet. They are all still hunkered up w/their fur coats on around a fire!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Last year I as a first year Ponder.....one thing I wanted is to have some Bull Frogs.....nothing happened last year but this year I have gone through the Toads breeding.....and I think the Tree frogs have done their thing......but I noticed this year....when everything came out of hibernation..... I had a huge Bull Frog that was hanging out.....he is very discreet......if I go out at night with the flashlight......I will see him sitting on the ledge......so last night my wish came true......after Dark I heard the song from my youth.....growing up on a Southern farm with cattle ponds all around....BRA.....ROOMPUH.....ROOMPUH.....the music of Bull Frog love.....I am happy.....Jimmy

For those of you that have never heard it

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
They really put their whole bodies into it !!! Happy to read your post, have been wondering how you, your wife and pond, are doing :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
They really put their whole bodies into it !!! Happy to read your post, have been wondering how you, your wife and pond, are doing :)
After having a bad end to a great first year ponding......a few survivors.....and a a few new ones.....learned alot of lessons......LESS IS BETTER......I will be the first one sharing my bad experience with new ponders who post here......although I struggled with the Koi......my plants are going crazy compared to last year.....already thinning stuff out

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Me too, was a teen in the 60's. Remember Canned Heat well!
You will wake up every morning now w/them on your mind,lol!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Sarah and I were feeding the fish this afternoon and I saw two young Ladies ...floating among the Lillies......lots smaller than the Big Guy......I am hoping for some Bullfrog tadpoles.....Sarah and I used to wish for that with our children.....now after numerous grandchildren.....we just tell them Y'all need to quit that.....lol Jimmy

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
04AF5F6F-3598-4E25-8641-69A7BFF01B06.jpeg
C3B0B73F-EA38-475C-8722-7C13F895CD28.jpeg
278C9C40-88F5-43FB-8F72-B3FD2ED494F8.jpeg

Not a huge Tennessee Bullfrog by any stretch......but he is singing his heart out trying to find a lover......hope he finds one.....I want some tadpoles

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
We have moments when the frogs are more fun than the koi. Glad to see you have scored yours.

Favorite frog story: our pond has a ledge around it made of Trex, the top of the wall. Frogs love to sit there especially if there is some pond foliage that shelters the frog. In our plant pond we have a huge water hibiscus with 6 inch red flowers. They attract hummingbirds. So our big bullfrog is on the ledge under the hibiscus about 18 inches from a flower and a hummingbird swoops in. The frog hears the bird and spins around in place like the turret on a tank. The hummer slams on his bird brakes and hangs there 2 feet away. He moves back and forth eyeing the flower and the frog. The frog rotates like a turret matching the birds every move. The hummer edges closer and closer to the flower. At about 12 inches away the frog leaps at the hummingbird, mouth open, and misses falling into the plant pond. The hummer snaps back as the frog hurdles himself, hangs for a second in a kind of what the heck pose and flits away. Too much fun.

Ask a Question