Finally Found by a Heron

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
It appears that my pond has finally been discovered by a heron after close to 3 years of existence without fish loss. My pond is small, roughly 700 gallons, and housed a mix of 10 comets, shubunkins, and sarassas. That is, until recently. Two of the sarassas seem to be missing and one of the comets has what appears to be some type of wound on its side. All of the remaining fish now seem to be very skittish and spend a lot of time hiding out in the caves at the bottom of the pond. They used to hang out near the surface picking at plants and algae. I have not seen the culprit actually at the pond, but on a couple of occasions have seen a heron flying overhead. I believe I unintentionally exposed the pond to flying herons when I recently removed a large maple tree nearby. Time for a net, I guess.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Yep way time for a net and fast like as now that they have discovered your fish they will be back a lot till you have no more fish! Removing that tree make it a birds eye view for sure! Make sure you have a raised net so the bird cannot just stand there and still poke through the net. Mine is up on stakes.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Sorry to hear. I had that happen several years ago and used a net for a couple years. Unfortunately I hated the way it looked so I bought a fake heron statue. It has worked for me. I know some folks have not had good luck with them. I still see them flying around time from time. I put a camera back there as well and haven’t seen any get close. We did get a dog last year so I am sure that helps as well but went 3 years with just the statue and it worked for me.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Commiserations. Nets are very unsightly and difficult if there is a lot of plants. The fake herons do not work. The only thing that has helped me was to put fishing line around the edge of the pond about 12 inches and 18 inches high - attached to narrow metal stakes - as close to the water as possible. I also put a couple of lines of it across the shallower end of the pond. Herons will stand at the edge of the pond or wade in any shallow water. But it doesn't like the fishing line idea and seems to regard it as a trap. Also the fishing line doesn't distract from the visual appearance of the pond too much. Worth a go.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Thanks, everyone, for the responses. I really am bummed about having to go the net route. It was so nice to be able to view the pond without anything to detract from the natural beauty. I built a frame using PEX tubing and some plumbing fixtures. It's in place and awaiting the netting that should arrive today. I also just purchased a metal heron statue that's really meant to be more decoration than decoy. Not that optimistic that the statue would be effective. Just curious - if a heron discovers that it can't defeat the net, will it keep on returning or eventually give up and avoid the pond?

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Our herons, net on for 5ish years maybe longer, still come back to check the ponds out. Net still on. Wide weave hung high does not really bother me.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Bird comes here seldom now but when it does it paces around for awhile and then gets disgusted and takes off! Will never take my net off!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
You could try one of those scarecrow water sprinkler systems. Have seen mixed results as well. They are persistent little devils. You definitely can’t do nothing cause they will clean you out. Sorry to hear, they are cool birds but not for fish pond owners. Good luck!!

Reaction score
Country
United States
It appears that my pond has finally been discovered by a heron after close to 3 years of existence without fish loss. My pond is small, roughly 700 gallons, and housed a mix of 10 comets, shubunkins, and sarassas. That is, until recently. Two of the sarassas seem to be missing and one of the comets has what appears to be some type of wound on its side. All of the remaining fish now seem to be very skittish and spend a lot of time hiding out in the caves at the bottom of the pond. They used to hang out near the surface picking at plants and algae. I have not seen the culprit actually at the pond, but on a couple of occasions have seen a heron flying overhead. I believe I unintentionally exposed the pond to flying herons when I recently removed a large maple tree nearby. Time for a net, I guess.
I had same. Fish will come around and be ok soon. Suggest a landscaping fence around it and def a net

Reaction score
Country
United States
They found my pond many years ago. It was explained to me that they have a route they fly every day to known water where they can fish, but they are constantly on the lookout for new bodies of water as well. They also listen for the sound of water, I figure my waterfall filter must have gotten their attention. It was a real struggle, the bird was taking prized Koi, snapping them in half, leaving half the body on the ground and apparently eating the other half. I had a 300 gallon cow trough pond and an in ground pond. The trough was on my back porch - I opened the door one day and there was this giant bird staring me in the face and my shock seeing the blooming thing. It took off. The solution that worked for me was buying a fake Heron and planting it in the ground right next to the trough pond. It took care of the problem almost instantly.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I too have a decoy. Helps a lot

Ask a Question