Finally taking the plunge!

Reaction score
Country
United States
I have been a stalker here for awhile. I have a stock tank that my last horse would bob for goldfish out of. goldfish were there to keep the tank clean. well a few years later and I tried to set the tank in the ground and make a small waterfall to it. it got boring... so I finally decided to pull it out and make a nice waterfall into a decent sized pond. I'm limited on space but looks like it will be somewhere around 23ft long and about 12 to 15 ft wide. a few spots might be smaller and some bigger but that's the basic looking at maybe 5ft deep or more in most areas but I want to do a sloped shallow part with a very large flat rock (if I can find the perfect rock) to let kids feed the fish at. but I like the look of a deep pond. and going to make a larg bog on this. I already bought a 40x40 liner from reading what everyone was happy with. I am on a budget my husband says but if I need something to donit right I will make it happen or make it. I am very very skilled at making and building things. we have a large shop with just about everything in there. I used to run about a 700g in wall reef tank and another 300g shark tank so alot of this falls into a somewhat close comparison. I am how ever struggling on how much filtration I will need and pump sizes supply line size and a few other things like I read about people doing a basicly undergravel filter in a sorts along with the bog filter. any advise before I make a huge mistake is always welcome . I may just go pick up an excavator in a few days and break ground. lol

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Probably the best running ponds are designed down to the last detail before breaking ground, but I say build the pond you want, and then figure out what pump and plumbing you need to run it. Fish load plays a factor in that as well. Ignoring the shallow spot, your dimensions give you a pond of about 10,000 gallons, and I'd probably want 7,000 gph minimum circulating that, and half or more of that through filtration (bog!).

I'm one of the ones who has an undergravel filter (I actually used sand) at the bottom of my pond in addition to a bog. Can't tell you how it works yet, though, because I haven't turned it on!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I have been a stalker here for awhile. I have a stock tank that my last horse would bob for goldfish out of. goldfish were there to keep the tank clean. well a few years later and I tried to set the tank in the ground and make a small waterfall to it. it got boring... so I finally decided to pull it out and make a nice waterfall into a decent sized pond. I'm limited on space but looks like it will be somewhere around 23ft long and about 12 to 15 ft wide. a few spots might be smaller and some bigger but that's the basic looking at maybe 5ft deep or more in most areas but I want to do a sloped shallow part with a very large flat rock (if I can find the perfect rock) to let kids feed the fish at. but I like the look of a deep pond. and going to make a larg bog on this. I already bought a 40x40 liner from reading what everyone was happy with. I am on a budget my husband says but if I need something to donit right I will make it happen or make it. I am very very skilled at making and building things. we have a large shop with just about everything in there. I used to run about a 700g in wall reef tank and another 300g shark tank so alot of this falls into a somewhat close comparison. I am how ever struggling on how much filtration I will need and pump sizes supply line size and a few other things like I read about people doing a basicly undergravel filter in a sorts along with the bog filter. any advise before I make a huge mistake is always welcome . I may just go pick up an excavator in a few days and break ground. lol
You definitely want to put the breaks on the excavator part just yet. You just made the first important step you asked whats what. GO TO YOU TUBE and watch the videos until you truly understand the fundamentals. or you'll be going down the same path i did and cost yourself a bit of work that you could have avoided . I put this together wishing i had found something similar before i had broke ground.

Reaction score
Country
United States
thank you for the info. I have been planning/dreaming this for years but I know there are alot of things I just don't know. I always hated designing something for my reef tanks and find outer they were not the best way to do it. like I just needed to put something in a diffent spot to make it great and instead I got something not working at top notch.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Welcome to the forum!

I filter with a bog only, works great.

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
The size of the liner you got is too small for the dimension of pond you are planning. Liner size- Length + 2x depth + 2' for edging. 23 + 24 +4= 51

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Hello and welcome! You got my attention at “horse,” my eyes glazed over, and, I’m sorry……what was your question….?

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
1652805020294.gif
@Alace

Reaction score
Country
United States
The size of the liner you got is too small for the dimension of pond you are planning. Liner size- Length + 2x depth + 2' for edging. 23 + 24 +4= 51
did I mess up.. 23ft long. x 4ft deep 2 times is 8 so, so far its 31 and then 2ft on each side for over hang so 31 turns to 35.. and I got 40 x40. and the other way is 12 to 15 wide depending on where I measure. I have not fully started the dig so I have fudge room if I need it.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hello and welcome! You got my attention at “horse,” my eyes glazed over, and, I’m sorry……what was your question….?
sorry. new to talking on forums. trying to get it all out and next thing I know its a book. main questions so far is pumps and size. and how much to bog and to water falls. like can I do 2 separate pumps to run fountain and one for bog. and is bog need the half water turn over an hour or is that to fast.. sorry so long trying to type this all day inbetween dealing with kids. I run a full preschool daycare . kinda hard to think with 20+ kids running around

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
did I mess up.. 23ft long. x 4ft deep 2 times is 8 so, so far its 31 and then 2ft on each side for over hang so 31 turns to 35.. and I got 40 x40. and the other way is 12 to 15 wide depending on where I measure. I have not fully started the dig so I have fudge room if I need it.
my bad! was using width instead of depth. Too many yard projects have my brain scrambled.

Ask a Question