fine filter for fine particles/ Bio falls cleaning

Reaction score
We had a potted plant knocked over the other day and it has taken three days for the pond to clear. I have a bio falls and also a Tetra pressure filter that keeps the pond VERY clear most of the time.
If we have a problem like this again i thought of putting a section of filter in the skimmer where the brushes go to filter the very very fine dirt.
Does anyone have any ideas on a fine filter that would do this that I could cut to size?
Also , this is our first year with a bio falls. How often should I clean the filter pads in the falls and the filter media in the bag in the falls?

Here is a link to a previous post on our pond.

https://www.gardenpondforum.com/our-new-pond-t2676.html

Reaction score
For cleaning out the fine particals, I use quilt batting in my bio-falls. Cut a peice that fits the top opening. I put it after my filter medium and pad. It can be bought at Wal-Mart. It will need to be cleaned or replaced often. I clean my filter medium and pad from my bio-falls in pond water when I see the water volume start to decrease. I just cleaned mine Tuesday night after running for 5 weeks.

Reaction score
Thanks for the quick reply, I will look into the quilt batting today.
On our first tub pond I used a Walmart filter and used bridal veil from Walmart which worked fine for that application. Thanks to the Walmart fabric section.

I have noticed a decrease in the falls flow so it is probably time to clean the pads.

thanks
MassKoi

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
if you have waterfall fill a milkcrate with fiber fill pillow stuffing or quilt batting and place it under your falls.. or if your equiped with an extra pump dedicate it to pumping thru the batting in a milkcrate or in a pilow case srapped to the outlet hose...this wont impede your filters function

Ask a Question