Help with superfine cement silt

ZEROPILOT

Faster than you are.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10a-10b
Country
United States
I am building a new pond and I decided to fortify the border with mortar and flat stones.
That part is fine.
However, after I finished, it rained and washed some cement silt into the water. It was cloudy and then settled into a fine layer of silt.
I'm thinking about hooking up my filter and pump with some fine material in it and run it for a few days, stirring up the water every now and then. Then clean the elements. I know I won't get it all out. Besides, soon it'll have organic silt and algea anyway.
I can think of no other way besides draining the whole thing and then using a "wetvac".
This pond is new. 1,450 gallons. No fish or filter yet. Though I have a filter and 2,000Gph pump.

Attachments

• 20170816_184012.jpg
    20170816_184012.jpg
    132.6 KB · Views: 239
  • 20170816_184003.jpg
    20170816_184003.jpg
    137.1 KB · Views: 218
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I would try it the way you suggested first, before draining. Can't hurt, right? Maybe get some aeration going to keep the silt moving.

ZEROPILOT

Faster than you are.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10a-10b
Country
United States
My plan was to run a pipe from the filter outlet to the bottom of the pond on an angle to keep it all spinning. Try to keep it all suspended.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
drain should not be needed. for a cheap filter medium can be white buffer pads used for stripping/waxing floors. about $5 -6 each. others who have come in to the same issue may have a better solution.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I had tons of cement dust fly in my pond when we were doing construction when we were cutting hardi board. Also they were affected by steel filings, sawdust, cigarette butts, etc. Most of the fish did fine despite all of it. You may want to check the ph. Koi don't fare as well in high ph. My guess if you are not over 9 it should be okay.

ZEROPILOT

Faster than you are.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10a-10b
Country
United States
I just ordered a pond vacuum. I've never had one before.
It's an "OASE 57347 PondoVac Classic":
It looks well made and easy to use..............I'll report later about that!

ZEROPILOT

Faster than you are.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10a-10b
Country
United States
quilt batting in a crate .I keep them in each of my filters View attachment 103492 View attachment 103493
My original concern wasn't too much about the media to filter it out, but for running all of that abrasive cement powder through my brand new pump motor.
I got the vacuum, but I haven't had time to use it. I need to travel to Georgia over the weekend starting this evening.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
My original concern wasn't too much about the media to filter it out, but for running all of that abrasive cement powder through my brand new pump motor.
I got the vacuum, but I haven't had time to use it. I need to travel to Georgia over the weekend starting this evening.

did your pond eventually clear up? I had a cement like silt on my pea gravel for my bog, which also made my water yellow. After 4 days still not back to normal. Wondering if I should turn off the filter as it may be continuously churning the particles around.

Ask a Question