Finishing Touches on Falls and Pond

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5a
Country
United States
So, i'm putting the final touches on the pond. My dad and i brainstormed on the waterfall and came up with what you see below instead of what i had originally. I think this works better for the space. Now i have one or two questions on improving it so i can call this project finished (and start planning my next one - i'm already a pond junkie.)

IMG_1450.JPG

1) The fall isn't very "powerful". I have the TetraPond FK3 filter/pump combo, the under 100 gallons size one, and it's adjusted output to max (knob turned all the way without coming off.) The pond went from the 35 gallon tub to this one, which is about 100 gallons (give or take - i think one of the online calcs i used said it was about 80-90 gallons). Should i upgrade the pump? What drew me to this one was it is filter/pump in one, for only $50, and it works great just wondering if i need to go bigger if i want a bigger or more powerful waterfall. It's connected to an 8 inch spillway (with bio balls?) via 3/4 inch tubing.

2) I would like to have LESS liner under the falls, as you can see it's pretty visible. From the splash pattern over the past few days i left it running it looks like i can cut back quite a bit on either side. Any suggestions? Good idea, bad? Would rock-on-a-roll hide it well enough? Should i just leave it?

3) Raising water level. Yay or nay? I can't raise it much without raising the edges on the far side not shown. Yes, the pond is not as level as it could be.... i don't know how to fix that without tearing it down and starting over which i DO NOT want to do if i can make it work some other way. Everything is stable as it is, i can stand/walk on the edges (though it makes me paranoid to do). The side under the fall is about two or three inches taller than the opposite side. Maybe put the liner up one row on the low side and leave it on the far side?

And finally, this is what the whole area looks like:

IMG_1451.JPG

Overall i'm very happy with this - my first time building a pond! I have to find a way to convince my parents into something bigger (they are my landlords or i wouldn't even be asking them lol.) I found a raised pond on this forum that i love the look of, and i'm already planning a modification to it for my yard.... i can fit it in the far (upper) corner of my yard..... dangerous territory, here.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5a
Country
United States
Great job on building your pond. Be careful it is addicting!! :)
It looks to me like your water level needs to be higher. That would help hide some of that liner. Maybe there is a way to raise the low side without a redo. Also if you add some plants along the edges (in the water) that will also help hide the liner. Planting something in pots along the top edge outside the pond with plants that overhang will also help. I have no experience with rock on a roll but have seen others that have used it. I believe it would not stand out quite as much as the black liner does.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Overall i'm very happy with this - my first time building a pond! I have to find a way to convince my parents into something bigger (they are my landlords or i wouldn't even be asking them lol.) I found a raised pond on this forum that i love the look of, and i'm already planning a modification to it for my yard.... i can fit it in the far (upper) corner of my yard..... dangerous territory, here.

Great work so far, I mess with my pond everyday and I'm never completely "finished" lol. But at the end of the day Iove sitting by it and watching/listening to everything. I like the ideas on the raised ponds also, that will be my next project too. Maybe we can share ideas with each other in the future. Keep up the good work!

cas

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
I like how your waterfall turned out.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5a
Country
United States
Yeah - I have the feeling that i'll always be "working on" this, but for the most part it's done. I think the waterfall was the hardest part, because i didn't plan ahead and just extend the liner from the pond.... Nope, did it the hard way with a separate piece of liner trailing in. Oh well, lesson learned for next time, and it isn't leaking at all so we're good!

I've already raised the low edges and added a few inches of water, that's helped a lot. The liner is a tad short on the end closest to the yard but it seems to be held in place by the flagstone pretty well so i'm not worried too much about it. I'm out there twice a day checking on it and watering plants, so i'll be able to spot any issues if they pop up.

I don't mind the black liner now that the water level is higher, but i will play around with the rock-on-a-roll to see if it would be easy enough to use it to at least cover under the falls. Maybe.

Still debating on upgrading the pump, if that would help get a more powerful waterfall?

I'm also going to stone in around the big flagstone, instead of leaving the grass, to make the whole shape of the stone area more interesting. I plan to have some decorations, and maybe some low trailing perennials around the base of the pond in the front. There is a small shelf IN the pond, so i will be adding some plants there as well.

I'm super thrilled that i found a place that sells pond plants AND fish - a pretty big variety, too, and they where very helpful when i went there for my container pond (the original tub, lol.)

This pond thing IS addicting. Really, i opened a can of worms doing this. I'm already planning my next pond, but it won't happen until next summer at the soonest. I have to save up $$ for it AND I have to convince my landlords that we need a bigger pond in the far corner of the yard. My landlords are my parents, so it isn't THAT hard to convince them of certain things, but they weren't thrilled with this little one (until it was mostly done and the mess i made was cleaned up - now they think it's neat.) I'm debating between a raised edge with a build in bench/seat and a more natural sunken pond...

Ask a Question