First pond , a few questions.

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Hello everyone new to the forum, I have been keeping fish in aquariums for well over 10 years. I decided it's time for a outdoor pond, my pond will be roughly 650 gallons and planing on housing a few goldfish. My pond will be 4 feet deep (I live in Canada) , 7 feet long and 3 feet wide. I've been doing alot of research I know that I need a pump, filter, hoses, spillway , Pond liner , underlayment and also a large airstone and air pump...Im I forgeting anything?

I had a few questions sorry if it's repetitive.

-If my pond is 650gal how many GPH should my pump be considering it'll be connected to my filter and waterfall spillway (12")? I was thinking atleast 2000Gph?

- I've noticed that pond underlayment is quite expensive anything else I could use instead?

-Use river rocks to cover bottom of pond?

-Any tip or advice?

I also decided on not putting a skimmer just because I don't mind putting in work to maintain the top of my pond.

Thanks in advance.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
Welcome @JesseMoreira06 , I don't have an in-ground pond but I'll do my best to answer based on my knowledge and from what I've read.

1. If pond ends up being 650 gallons you should shoot for 1000-1300 gallons per hour based on usual recommendation of circulating the water volume 1.5 to 2 times per hour. More wouldn't hurt unless it's too much flow for filters, waterfalls, etc. You could always accomplish your circulation goals with multiple pumps depending on what your system is going to look like.
2. I have never used pond underlayment myself and I can't speak about the cost of it but you might look into old scraps of carpet or carpet pad, I've heard other members mention using it as an alternative.
3. Most members would discourage the use of rocks on the bottom of the pond since it can lead to the accumulation of waste and decomposing material from fish and/or plants, or leaves/debris that falls into the pond. I myself have a thin layer of gravel and/or aquatic planting media on the bottom in certain areas because the goldfish like to pull it out of my lily pots and drop it to the bottom. A thing layer of gravel or small rocks might be easy enough to stir around allowing for the "gunk" or debris to be netted or sucked up by the mechanical filtration which is what I usually do.

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Welcome @JesseMoreira06 , I don't have an in-ground pond but I'll do my best to answer based on my knowledge and from what I've read.

1. If pond ends up being 650 gallons you should shoot for 1000-1300 gallons per hour based on usual recommendation of circulating the water volume 1.5 to 2 times per hour. More wouldn't hurt unless it's too much flow for filters, waterfalls, etc. You could always accomplish your circulation goals with multiple pumps depending on what your system is going to look like.
2. I have never used pond underlayment myself and I can't speak about the cost of it but you might look into old scraps of carpet or carpet pad, I've heard other members mention using it as an alternative.
3. Most members would discourage the use of rocks on the bottom of the pond since it can lead to the accumulation of waste and decomposing material from fish and/or plants, or leaves/debris that falls into the pond. I myself have a thin layer of gravel and/or aquatic planting media on the bottom in certain areas because the goldfish like to pull it out of my lily pots and drop it to the bottom. A thing layer of gravel or small rocks might be easy enough to stir around allowing for the "gunk" or debris to be netted or sucked up by the mechanical filtration which is what I usually do.

Thanks for the responce , really appreciate it. The filter I was thinking of getting is a XtremepowerUS 10000 Koi Pond which I think can handle a pump up to 4000gph , but the waterfall can only handle 2000gph at most is what it states.

I do like the idea of thin lawyer of gravel at the bottom which I can stir up, do you think at 4 feet deep you'll actually notice the bottom of the pond or it'll just be dark anyways?

So old carpets can work, mhmm I should check storage sometimes you never know what you can find.

maybe you have a better filter recommendation? this is that I'm thinking of getting is for ponds up to 1500 gallons.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Hello and welcome.

— Don’t forget a water testing kit — very important! Most of us use the API master kit and add a test for KH and GH. Liquid (drop) tests are more reliable than strips.

— Something to keep on hand to dechlorinate your water if you are on city water. If your water contains chloramines as well, be sure the product you use will work against both.

— Something like PRIME to combat ammonia spikes.

— Carpeting is often used as an underlayment, but with your size pond, I can’t see where the underlayment material would be that expensive.....

— Whatever you do, don’t skimp on your liner! Get a good liner, and buy MORE than you think you’ll need. I like EPDM.

— Other chemicals or additives — forget those. Once Mother Nature gets your pond balanced, things like algae and beneficial bacteria will do their thing.

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Hello and welcome.

— Don’t forget a water testing kit — very important! Most of us use the API master kit and add a test for KH and GH. Liquid (drop) tests are more reliable than strips.

— Something to keep on hand to dechlorinate your water if you are on city water. If your water contains chloramines as well, be sure the product you use will work against both.

— Something like PRIME to combat ammonia spikes.

— Carpeting is often used as an underlayment, but with your size pond, I can’t see where the underlayment material would be that expensive.....

— Whatever you do, don’t skimp on your liner! Get a good liner, and buy MORE than you think you’ll need. I like EPDM.

— Other chemicals or additives — forget those. Once Mother Nature gets your pond balanced, things like algae and beneficial bacteria will do their thing.

Thanks for the suggestions , perfect I already have a liquid test kit , I use Sechem PRIME as conditioner for my aquariums I was thinking of using Sechem safe for the pond.

I was checking online for the underlayment and it turns out it's much cheaper at my local hardware store.

I read online for pond liners nothing less then 45..? something along those lines.

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Any recommendations for a pump that has between 1500/2000gph ? I can't seem to find anything it's either around 1200 or over 2000gph? it also needs to be able to ship to Canada.

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Hi- Stick with 45 mil. It will last. You don't want to be replacing your liner in 5 or 10 years.

Okay thank you that's what I read "mil".

Sorry for all the questions but another one as well what about tubing size? I see 3/4" , 1 " , 1 1/2". Any significant difference?

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Just water flow and height water has to travel on hose .I use sump pump hose 10 dollars and has lasted me for years

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Take a look at http://www.watergarden.org/Pond-Info The recommended pipe size for you is 1 1/4”. Also take a look at friction losses on the same page. You’ll find better calculators elsewhere, but you figure your actual head height plus the equivalent head from your plumbing including fittings. Then get a pump that flows enough gallons at that head height.

You’ll eventually need a pond breather or heater unless you are in BC.

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Take a look at http://www.watergarden.org/Pond-Info The recommended pipe size for you is 1 1/4”. Also take a look at friction losses on the same page. You’ll find better calculators elsewhere, but you figure your actual head height plus the equivalent head from your plumbing including fittings. Then get a pump that flows enough gallons at that head height.

You’ll eventually need a pond breather or heater unless you are in BC.

Thanks for the link , I'll take a look. So I should get 1 1/4" tubing with a 2000Gph pump? spillway is 12" wide. This will allow flow for everything to work efficiently?

I love in Montreal , Quebec. What exactly is a pond breather?

Last edited:
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
That’s what’s suggested in the table. Your 2000 gph will probably be more like 1500 once all the head is taken into account. Depends on the pump, but you should find flow vs head tables for every pump. Of course you could go to 1 1/2 flex pvc if you wanted. How are you planning to have the tubing exit the pond? The tubing is a lot more flexible so probably better if you are coming out under rocks or something.

A pond breather is a way to keep a hole in the ice without breaking the bank. https://www.googleadservices.com/pa...ahUKEwjBgd65guHbAhUs7IMKHXgqDq0QzzkIJQ&adurl=

Last edited:
Reaction score
Country
Canada
That’s what’s suggested in the table. Your 2000 +1-630-962-7260 will probably be more like 1500 once all the head is taken into account. Depends on the pump, but you should find flow vs head tables for every pump. Of course you could go to 1 1/2 flex pvc if you wanted. How are you planning to have the tubing exit the pond? The tubing is a lot more flexible so probably better if you are coming out under rocks or something.

A pond breather is a way to keep a hole in the ice without breaking the bank. https://www.googleadservices.com/pa...ahUKEwjBgd65guHbAhUs7IMKHXgqDq0QzzkIJQ&adurl=

That's correct I am planing to have the hose come out under the rocks.

Quick question if the spillway suggest a maximum flow of 2000gph , what if I used a pump of 2640gph? What would happen?

I'll take a look at the link , Thanks.

Ask a Question