First pond , a few questions.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
@EricV Doesn't seem like the link works ?

The link for the pond breather? Try this: https://www.amazon.com/8PB-Breather-Heated-Aerator-Watts/dp/B000HHM9U0 My post from my phone didn't seem to show up,

You won't get more than 2000 gph of flow out of that pump once you take into account head pressure from raising the water and the plumbing. But consider if you want that much flow in a small pond anyhow. People here recommend 1-2x. Too much over 2x and your fish may not be comfortable.

Reaction score
Country
Canada
The link for the pond breather? Try this: https://www.amazon.com/8PB-Breather-Heated-Aerator-Watts/dp/B000HHM9U0 My post from my phone didn't seem to show up,

You won't get more than 2000 gph of flow out of that pump once you take into account head pressure from raising the water and the plumbing. But consider if you want that much flow in a small pond anyhow. People here recommend 1-2x. Too much over 2x and your fish may not be comfortable.

Perfect thanks , very good point on the fish not being comfortable wouldn't want that. So I think a pump of 2000gph would be best after head pressure ect..It would be around 1500gph.

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Hello , it has been a while. Quick update I haven't built the pond yet due to moving, On the bright side of things I will be building a larger pond roughly 1000 gallons given that I have a much larger yard now. I was wondering how much has the info above changed meaning ? I was going to get a 2000GPH pump and 1 1/4 tubing now should I be going for roughly 2500 GPH and a larger tubing or..?

It's going to around 8 feet long , 4 feet deep and 5 feet wide.

Thank you.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
When I had my 2500 gallon pond I use a 3200 gph pump .It all depends on head height and that is how far the hose runs out of the water and if you will have elbows .I kept my hoses in the pond and used sump pump hose

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
yep and pvc piping connections work with it and hose clamps .I still am using my original one that is about 6 years old and got a 1 1/2 inch one 4 years ago .I run all my hoses in the pond and my home made filters are in the pond liner .Any leaks it can only run back into the pond .I have been there and it is not fun .I used that hose with ribbing the sell at lowes here and it broke in several spots ,says it is kink free but it breaks and it is for ponds .Costs a lot but not worth it

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I put that foam pipe insulation over mine where it is exposed to the weather ,I have stepped on mine while rebuilding and abused it and it still bounces back as long as you do not cut it by accident while cutting a plant ,been there did that ;):)Lucky there was plenty of hose to pull out of the pond to make up for that mistake

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Looks like I was wrong again , it's going to be larger then 1000 gallons. Itll be 12 feet long by 5 feet wide by 4 feet deep. It's looking like itll be roughly 1800 gallons.

Ask a Question