First Pond In Small Garden

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello All,

Newbie here, looking to construct a small pond in my garden. We don't have a huge garden and it is a really awkward shape. Also a lot of slopes going on! As part of a wider refesh of the garden I'd like to extend an existing raised bed by adding a new section in which I can build a small pond. I've shown on the below photo where it will fit. I will build from the same sleepers and hopefully it will look like it was there along.

The space within the timbers will be approx 4ft x 2ft and I'll dig down to give a depth of 2ft, with shelves on 3 sides for marginal plants. Thinking that using a liner is best and I will add some decking boards to cap the sleepers and hold the sheet in place. I wasn't planning on having any fish in the pond, for now at least. Instead I'd fill the shelves with marginals and maybe some lily's to cover up to half of the open water. We seem to get a fair few frogs and other little critters so I expect we will have some potential inhabitants.

Few questions I have so far;
- Is it worth spending extra for EPDM liners? I've seen some HDPE liners including 'heavy duty' underlay that are around half the price of an EPDM liner alone.
- The side of the sleeper frame will be about 6-8" above the ground at it's lowest point. Is that low enough for frogs to get up and over or should I add some sort of step to help them? I will try and place some rocks in the water to help getting out.
- I don't have any outdoor power points and was not planning to add a filter or pump. Will this be ok given the small size and lack of fish? I might try a solar pump to move the water about during the summer months.

Thanks in advance!

Dave

6F09C6BA-292E-438A-AD47-6A70E7C541BA_1_201_a.jpeg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
The space within the timbers will be approx 4ft x 2ft and I'll dig down to give a depth of 2ft, with shelves on 3 sides for marginal plants. Thinking that using a liner is best and I will add some decking boards to cap the sleepers and hold the sheet in place. I wasn't planning on having any fish in the pond, for now at least. Instead I'd fill the shelves with marginals and maybe some lily's to cover up to half of the open water. We seem to get a fair few frogs and other little critters so I expect we will have some potential inhabitants.

That's fairly small; hope you keep in mind the stocking limits re keeping them alive. And I'd nix any thought of koi right from the get go...
That small, be careful how much area/space you give to your plants as you may find you can't even see the water once they get going. Search for marginals and see what depth they like and/or if you need pots or a very shallow shelf area for those individuals you like.

Few questions I have so far;
- Is it worth spending extra for EPDM liners? I've seen some HDPE liners including 'heavy duty' underlay that are around half the price of an EPDM liner alone.

I use HDRPE and like it. Definitely less weight, shipping cost, purchase cost, and is tougher re tearing and you generally don't need an underlayment as you do with EPDM. Harder re folds, though.

- The side of the sleeper frame will be about 6-8" above the ground at it's lowest point. Is that low enough for frogs to get up and over or should I add some sort of step to help them? I will try and place some rocks in the water to help getting out.

my frogs can jump at least 2' up as the many frog spawns I've gotten in my patio pond planters can attest. That said, just give them a platform to jump off of and they'll clear your sleepers.

- I don't have any outdoor power points and was not planning to add a filter or pump. Will this be ok given the small size and lack of fish? I might try a solar pump to move the water about during the summer months.

I'd be mindful of mosquitoes if you have no water movement. And stagnant non moving water can be an issue. I'd find some way to route an extension cord and then hide it for at least a small bubbler/pump. No fish gives you more options this way. Solar won't work at night unless you get a backup battery.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Thanks. I wasn't planning for fish so it's more of a water feature than a pond I guess. Good to hear some positive feedback about cheaper liner options too.

We don't get mosquitos to the same degree here in the UK I don't think. I'd like to have a pump in an ideal world, it just comes down to how much it'll cost to get power sorted. I need to sort a security light out so may try and bundle an outdoor socket when I get that done.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Thanks. I wasn't planning for fish so it's more of a water feature than a pond I guess. Good to hear some positive feedback about cheaper liner options too.

We don't get mosquitos to the same degree here in the UK I don't think. I'd like to have a pump in an ideal world, it just comes down to how much it'll cost to get power sorted. I need to sort a security light out so may try and bundle an outdoor socket when I get that done.
you can't go wrong having power outside; just make sure you use a GFCI receptacle. And NO mosquitoes? Are you based in heaven?

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I also use a type of hdrpe mine was called ppl36 from bend tarp and liner, it works great and is real tough.

Ask a Question