First Pond Progress Thread

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Um broke one of your straps ? it looked like you had endless slings where did you get it from ? what was it's rating?

I have never seen a strap fail. i have seen them get ripped apart and damaged but never snap....... By the way if you see fraying of the strap you should retire the strap and move to the next. some straps have color strands in the strap and when you see those nexttttttttttt.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Um broke one of your straps ? it looked like you had endless slings where did you get it from ? what was it's rating?

I have never seen a strap fail. i have seen them get ripped apart and damaged but never snap....... By the way if you see fraying of the strap you should retire the strap and move to the next. some straps have color strands in the strap and when you see those nexttttttttttt.
@GBBUDD it was rated for 15,000lbs. I guess to be more accurate, we had just noticed a small rip close to the loop of the strap. And when I lifted one of the largest boulders straight up with it, it ripped in two.

It was this big boulder:
BDE8B0DB-F529-47CF-BAF2-789661092571.jpeg

I got the straps on Amazon. I’ll need to look around for some stronger ones tomorrow

*there is one GIANT strap in a lot of my pictures that the guy who delivered my boulders was nice enough to give me. It’s the very thick, brown one. I think that one is rated for 80k lbs+, it’s just a pain because it gets stuck every time. I’ll give your advice about using rocks to create a gap tomorrow.

Here’s the strap that broke:
0A67E882-B737-4E06-925E-A82684A73E2A.jpeg

Last edited:
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Even still that's not a 15000 lb boulder by any means. i cant say for sure not seeing the tear but i'd look else where for my straps.

Did the load jerk and shock the load that can cause failure with a slight tear.

Jhn

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
Keep in mind rocks are rough and abrade the straps, especially if the straps don’t come out easily after setting a rock. as gbbudd said just pay attention to them, they start getting frayed switch straps.

Another trick to getting straps out besides setting them on other rocks is using pry bars and boards, as well.

Those straps are plenty heavy enough, but if they are getting pulled and worked across rock they will abrade and fail eventually.

Looking good though you are making great progress.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Another full day of work completed. It was just me out there, but I still got a decent amount done. I can’t believe this excavator is already scheduled to be returned on Friday…:eek:

I worked on the wetland filter all day today. First I dug the trench for the centipede and snorkel, then underlayment/liner/underlayment sandwich (I keep cutting the underlayment 1-2 feet short and driving myself crazy :banghead: ), then I used some cinderblocks to temporarily build up the sides ~32” (2’ of fI’ll tee rock-big/med/then small-plus about 6” of water and then about 2” to the top of the side. After all of that I started placing dirt around the perimeter of the filter and in the waterfall area between the filter and pond. Oh I also built up the side of the filter farthest from the pond for the largest waterfall that will drop into the wetland filter (Current plan)

I’m absolutely wiped out.

As for the centipede area, it is slightly graded toward the snorkel. However, I’m not sure yet how I will get the 2” feed pipe into the centipede. I watched your wetland filter video on YouTube @combatwombat and based on what you said I plan to feed the pipe above the liner.

5B138209-3CD6-42E8-BD22-57038ABDA778.jpeg
FBC5F495-C69B-40DB-B3FA-BD2FE9B11969.jpeg
D781AC69-6196-43F8-AB74-98434DC552F6.jpeg
22D90770-B99F-4165-A56F-86AB265A263C.jpeg
BDF9616E-578C-4857-8E3B-BD4C9FBC9AA7.jpeg
04D7C235-D785-4013-A7F4-029F65FF4A20.jpeg
C605E936-64CA-4C84-9BE3-90187C0D360D.jpeg
9934B47E-BCF0-4F8F-A188-45A825671201.jpeg

*I actually got 5 or 6 large boulders placed around 1 side of the filter but my phone was dead for the last hour of the day.
EFE89A31-71AB-48E5-95C9-7B89D8D5FA4D.jpeg
C675E829-ABF5-4824-8C49-762BB7C665CB.jpeg

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Looking good. Are you using flex pvc? If so, you just bend it over your liner and maybe pin it in place with some small boulders. If you’re using rigid pipe, it’ll take 3+ 90° turns to do it. Not ideal, but done all the time. You can also use a short length of flex between rigid sections to make complex bends.

Also, did I see that you’re planning on just 2” of liner above water in the bog? That’ll work at first, but your water level will rise as the plants grow in. Best to plan for at least 6” of freeboard.

cas

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
That is going to be one awesome pond. Love following your progress. After seeing the rocks you are working with, I laugh at the little rocks I have in my pond that I thought were big.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
You'll find it easier if you get endless slings . It's a circle there is no end . They self since to the load but are a little more work at times trying to remove them
Wondering if those straps are 100 percent nylon not a good thing .. they don't look it .
returned on Friday
Concentrate on your largest boulders so you can step down on the size and cost for the next rental . Don't rush and burn yourself.
That is going to be one awesome pond. Love following your progress. After seeing the rocks you are working with, I laugh at the little rocks I have in my pond that I thought were big.
Nice thing about the rocks your size is if you need to add on later or do a little remodeling you can with the big boys its written in stone as they say

Becareful with the cinderblocks there 90 egret corners are often sharp enough to cut rubber. Rounding the edge or a good layer of HD fabric will help.
Are you going to set the cinderblocks onto a footing ? Obviously frost isn't an issue but settling could be.

Your obviously doing a matrix bog what's your plan for the stone.

cas

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Nice thing about the rocks your size is if you need to add on later or do a little remodeling you can with the big boys its written in stone as they say
Tee hee... you have followed my posts. Rocks don't stay in the same place very long around here.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
you are a busy man. trying to beat the clock i know the feeling well. is it me or is there no step on the coping edging even 4 inches lower than water level makes such a difference. is 8it my eyes playing tricks on me

Ask a Question