First Pond Progress Thread

Reaction score
Country
United States
I was thinking I don't think I ever saw you say you were putting in a fish cave anywhere ate there going to be fish in your creation ?
Definitely going to be some fish! But I haven’t added any fish caves yet, I’m trying to figure that out now.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I didn't do the standard culvert pipe I took one of the rocks on the bottom shelf that was sticking up about a foot taller than the shelf placed a couple small 12 inch boulders on the shelf behind it and then simply took my largest flatest rock and placed it on those rocks which actually made more of a large flat tunnel but gave the fish a hiding place from preditors and the sun

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Looking great! Some big ass rocks in there. I see your last photo update was from Saturday, and I remember you saying earlier that you were sending the machine back on Friday. Decided to keep it a bit longer? I know how that goes.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
This is just outstanding! The smiles on your kids' faces are worth a million bucks! You guys are really doing professional level work!
Your doing a heck of a job your self there lady. i know how long you have been waiting for this. YOU SHOULD KEEP TRACK of all your thoughts and questions and put them in a show case when your done

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Your doing a heck of a job your self there lady. i know how long you have been waiting for this. YOU SHOULD KEEP TRACK of all your thoughts and questions and put them in a show case when your done
Thank you! You are very kind! My skills might be limited to hole-digging, though. We went out tonight and looked at the big rocks on the pallets - then looked at each other and said "Oh dang." I'm just going to roll along and see how it goes. We can get creative with rolling, dragging, and maybe moving them in a sling. I'm crossing my fingers it will look even half as good as many of the ponds on here, including yours!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
While big rocks can help visually, its more a creative flair that makes a beautiful pond. sometimes a mistake or a well i can't have choice one but maybe this will work. look at those two pages we have i included it in my showcase of edge treatments there's not one "TWO MAN BOULDER " IN ANYONE OF THE TREATMENTS. go for a walk along a pond or stream in your area picture that at your home or how you can improvise

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi everyone!

I haven’t posted in a little while, I’ve been pretty busy with work and school.
Also, I had a bit of a setback with the pond after trying to cut a few corners. It was pretty frustrating but thankfully the project is back on track.

In short, I hadn’t finished building up the walls of my filter and securing the liner in my filter/waterfall. But I had the edges propped up enough that I could fill up the pond and run my small 4K gph pump without issue. That was pretty exciting as it was getting easier to visualize how the pond was going to look.

Well the water was cloudy from the rocks getting their first rinse so I figured…let’s hook up the second pump so we can enjoy some clear water! This is the 12k gph pump.

…the first 5 minutes of this were very exciting! I didn’t realize how much water would be moving through that larger 3” pipe…wow!

Here is the pond just prior to the below issue:
7CCF2568-9FA6-428D-B97E-D8AC1ADB3EE4.jpeg

Well as my wife and I were watching in amazement, we finally noticed the intake bay was getting low very fast.

Turns out the amount of water going into the filter was too much for my janky temp walls of the filter… it fell over in two spots and the water started spilling out everywhere. That wouldn’t be the worst thing in the world but it was the side adjacent to, and 10’ from my pond. I had brought in several tons of dirt in this area to create the height for my waterfalls and filter walls. Within seconds all of this dirt was washed away DIRECTLY into the pond.

The craziest pond shi* I’ve ever seen :rolleyes:
Seriously, this happened sooo fast.

Here are some pics I took shortly after:
2877FD66-E7D0-49C4-8468-B72592715380.jpeg
20FB288A-F41C-4358-871D-86B3085A9697.jpeg
CB93F0BF-C976-41B1-B117-2E1CAA0A224D.jpeg
48A52CD6-45B7-45C6-BA98-D5646883972B.jpeg

And if the pictures look bad, I promise it looked worse! Wow that was a guy punch.

Anyway, we drained the pond, cleaned like crazy, built the filter walls extremely well, and a bunch of other stuff , I don’t even remember.

But as of this morning I have water in the pond and ONLY the small pump running:
B5F4DAF4-765B-46C6-B6D0-C80801386E5E.jpeg

B8A47E3B-4CAA-41BA-BEAA-58B9E45CF086.jpeg

It was a good lesson, don’t cut too many corners!
But getting it back to this point makes it all worth it:

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Oh man! I am sorry that happened! I have to say, though, even while I was looking at the pictures of the "unfortunate incident" - the whole time I was thinking how great it looks! The rock work is really fantastic!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Glad everything worked out .
Look at is as a blessing no one was in the pond when it let go.
There's no cutting corners , as we are all learning. It's just lessons learned and shared
Thank you.
You've done a heck of a job sir. aND NO OFFENCE I'D NEVER CONSIDER MY FINANCE GUY TO BUILD ME A POND your going for the Mercedes

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
When there was no water there was equal pressure , when he filled the pond there was equal pressure when he put in two pumps the intake bay was drained to where there was no longer equal pressure and the wall let go . is my understanding

Ask a Question