j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
J.W., I saw some beautiful full size goldies. They look great with vibrant colors. Do you use any special brand of fish food? I use Wardley's pellets and supplement with Cheerios and Romaine. I don't have the colors you do however. Rob

Thanks Alvarero and I use Wardley's summer food and tetra pond Spring/Fall food.I also give them the leftover algae disc's I had for my Pleco. Never tried Cheerio's or Romaine but have given them watermelon at times which they seem to really like. For several yrs they never were fed anything and survived nicely on whatever was in the pond, bugs, worms, algae and fish eggs and fry.Oh and they get duckweed and nibble on roots of plants. I just discovered a place out in the wild where I can get Anacharis here and my hubby brought me home more of it so they will get that also after I have cleaned it good and let it grow to a good quantity. I just heard on a new t.v show called Tanks that goldfish don't have stomach's and so we should feed them small amt's a few times a day. Never new that.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
I saw you have a dark goldfish. She hatched last year and has been a dark bronze to black, well, this last week she has been going through a transformation from black to orange. I never thought she would change color but she is and should be fully orange in the next week or two.

My dark fish is a few yrs old and I do think it will change someday but don't know why it's taking so long for some of the bigger ones.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I just heard on a new t.v show called Tanks that goldfish don't have stomach's and so we should feed them small amt's a few times a day. Never new that.

oh queen of the net searching...........here is what I found:

Goldfish do not have a stomach. Food is absorbed as it travels through their intestines so it must have a high alkaline content.
Goldfish are massive waste producers - even those tiny ones! Goldfish have no stomachs, so basically what they eat goes out. This fouls the water very quickly!
Goldfish are unusual in that they lack a stomach at the start of the digestive tract where food can be stored, so they need to eat small quantities of food on a frequent basis. Offering them a large amount of food just once a day will therefore be wasteful, and will also lead to a deterioration in water quality as the unwanted food breaks down and pollutes the water. Instead , give them a small amount of food four or five times a day, which will meet their appetite.

Then of course there are other posts about stomachs, gf getting air in the stomachs, stomach swelling on and on lol

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
oh queen of the net searching...........here is what I found:

Goldfish do not have a stomach. Food is absorbed as it travels through their intestines so it must have a high alkaline content.
Goldfish are massive waste producers - even those tiny ones! Goldfish have no stomachs, so basically what they eat goes out. This fouls the water very quickly!
Goldfish are unusual in that they lack a stomach at the start of the digestive tract where food can be stored, so they need to eat small quantities of food on a frequent basis. Offering them a large amount of food just once a day will therefore be wasteful, and will also lead to a deterioration in water quality as the unwanted food breaks down and pollutes the water. Instead , give them a small amount of food four or five times a day, which will meet their appetite.

Then of course there are other posts about stomachs, gf getting air in the stomachs, stomach swelling on and on lol

Wow I have been feeding the poor things only once per day. Now I have to change my plans! Maybe they would be better off if I didn't feed them at all like I used to do. Less waste of food and less poop to foul the water, hmmmmmmmmm? I like to feed them so I think I will just feed them several times a day just a little bit at a time. If they are still hungry they can forage on their own in the pond for bugs etc.

whiskey

Always trying to perfect something fishy
Reaction score
us fisherman say feed little and offen, put in too much can spoil your chances of catching through out the day, we just keep 4 to 6 pellet every cast, keeps them competing........so i feed mine few pellet at 10am.......some more at 4pm and finally at dusk [about 9pm].......food not around long enough to sink to bottom of my pond.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
I have just started my new regime today whiskey. 3 times a day sounds good to me also. 4 or 5 reminds me of changing diapers all the time and feeding bottles to babies and I'm not into that much hooplah anymore, lol!

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
My monsters will be pond scarfing while we are gone, I gave my neighbor a measured bag of food to toss in each day. So she would not overfeed them.

pinon ponder

S'cuse me, while I kiss the sky!
Reaction score
Love your oasis, J.W.! Everything looks so healthy. I bet you have a hard time going inside to round up the dust bunnies. Your fish are so pretty! Lucky them to have such a beautiful home to live in and a great fish "mom" who takes such good care of them. :) TFS!

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Thanks pinon. Dust bunnies are all full grown rabbit's in our house this time of year! Love sitting out on the porch watching the fish and listening to the water.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
My monsters will be pond scarfing while we are gone, I gave my neighbor a measured bag of food to toss in each day. So she would not overfeed them.

That's the smart way to do it. If you left it for some neighbors to decide their kids and friends and everybody would be feeding them all the time.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
No kidding,they over feed my pup, no matter what i tell them ..........at least it is just a short amount of time. btw she is doing great, back to herself.

Ask a Question