First winter. Should I still do small water changes?

waynefrcan

19 years ponding and hopefully 4 more!
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Country
Canada
Your pond looks great but...I can almost bet the farm that you have a layer of thick black stinky goo under and around those big rocks lol

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
I run 4inch bottom drain 40inch diameter vortex a ultra seive and bead filter I go through 200gallons when I do my filter clean outs every week but I don't remove any more I refill the pond via a 4 stage water purifier

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I can almost bet the farm that you have a layer of thick black stinky goo under and around those big rocks lol

Get your deed ready, because no I don't.

And someone should alert our other Canadian members that it's too cold to keep those fish outside... they may not be aware.

waynefrcan

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Country
Canada
Haha it's there trust me. No water changes and no cleanout over time the algae, waste and decay will turn stinky and black. IS your entire pond rocked? Do you use a pond vac during the non winter period?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Haha it's there trust me

Here's where I think semantics gets in the way - the difference between a rocked bottom and a gravel bottom. If you have large rocks on the bottom of your pond where things can get trapped away from the flow of water, then yes - you will have debris that builds up. But my pond is rocked on the SIDES with gravel on the BOTTOM. The gravel layer is shallow - less than two inches deep. There is nothing under that gravel except the liner. I know this because I can see it with my own eyes. I get in the pond and move the gravel with my feet - nothing. No debris, no silt, nothing. Very little debris gets to the bottom of the pond in the first place because of the water flow from water fall to "skimmer". The current is strong and constant. Any organic matter produced by the fish is broken down quickly - I've literally never seen fish poop in the pond. Ever. I'm not dumb. I know it's there. It's dealt with by the ecosystem very quickly so there's no build up of fish poop either. No build up of organic matter = no black smelly goop.

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Here's where I think semantics gets in the way - the difference between a rocked bottom and a gravel bottom. If you have large rocks on the bottom of your pond where things can get trapped away from the flow of water, then yes - you will have debris that builds up. But my pond is rocked on the SIDES with gravel on the BOTTOM. The gravel layer is shallow - less than two inches deep. There is nothing under that gravel except the liner. I know this because I can see it with my own eyes. I get in the pond and move the gravel with my feet - nothing. No debris, no silt, nothing. Very little debris gets to the bottom of the pond in the first place because of the water flow from water fall to "skimmer". The current is strong and constant. Any organic matter produced by the fish is broken down quickly - I've literally never seen fish poop in the pond. Ever. I'm not dumb. I know it's there. It's dealt with by the ecosystem very quickly so there's no build up of fish poop either. No build up of organic matter = no black smelly goop.

Perfect example of an apparently properly designed eco-system pond. They do function amazingly well in maintaining both water quality and clarity.

waynefrcan

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Country
Canada
Do you get algae in the water and the type that puts a layer on all surfaces? Your water looks clear.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Do you get algae in the water and the type that puts a layer on all surfaces? Your water looks clear.

We do. We get different types of algae depending on the water temperature. We have one type of algae that we only see right when the ice starts to melt off the pond - it's really pretty. All ruffly and very vivid green. The fish graze on that in the early weeks before we start feeding. Then we get the carpet type algae that clings to the rocks. Right now that has started to grown longer - the rocks look much fuzzier right now than they do in midsummer. It's pretty interesting to watch and observe as it changes.

waynefrcan

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Country
Canada
The same here the early spring algae is a string type bright green. Then we get everything plastered with the stuff that clings to all areas including between the rocks and your gravel also will get a layer. Where does that go? Over years it will build up with fish/food waste and dead plant material and stuff blown into the pond. Some might get dissolved back into the eco system but not all. The skimmers won't catch everything. Most of the ponds without rocks on bottom still need to be cleaned out with pond vacs or decay does accumulate.

My pond the sidewall rocks are the worst for hiding stuff as they are bigger.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Colleen leaves her fish in her pond in Canada and have seen others up there leave them outside .Not sure why your level would go up for ammonia . I leave mine in the pond and do no water changes except for the rain and the snow melt .Test my water in the winter maybe once or twice during the winter but my temperature is a lot milder and you would think it would be worse .

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
The rate of decay of organic matter in any pond is primarily determined by the temperature of the water. Low water temperatures retard any bacterial or fungal activity thus slowing any decay rate.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I won't try to convince you @waynefrcan - you're gonna believe what you've already decided is true. It's not new - I've had people telling me for years my pond won't work, my fish won't live, my water will be green. I'll just sit and wait for doomsday I guess.

waynefrcan

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Country
Canada
lol, with having a great pond system as yours, it doesn't get to the level of harming the fish, good work!

Ask a Question