Fish Dying - white peeling slime

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
There is a bacterial disease of fish known as Columnaris that can be fatal and outbreaks occur during warm weather. The bacteria is very common and only sometimes causes disease, usually when nitrite is present, fish density high, and the water is warm. Some strains are more virulent than others. The fish can die without signs, or can have skin, mouth or gill erosions. Sometimes it looks like a fungus but is actually bacterial. With your high continued mortality I would recommend that you contact a veterinarian or diagnostic lab to get a definitive diagnosis. The next fish that is sick or dies could yield valuable information if a necropsy is done and samples collected. Of course, I’ve never known anyone to actually take this advice. :)

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
10a/sunset zone 23
Country
United States
There is a bacterial disease of fish known as Columnaris that can be fatal and outbreaks occur during warm weather. The bacteria is very common and only sometimes causes disease, usually when nitrite is present, fish density high, and the water is warm. Some strains are more virulent than others. The fish can die without signs, or can have skin, mouth or gill erosions. Sometimes it looks like a fungus but is actually bacterial. With your high continued mortality I would recommend that you contact a veterinarian or diagnostic lab to get a definitive diagnosis. The next fish that is sick or dies could yield valuable information if a necropsy is done and samples collected. Of course, I’ve never known anyone to actually take this advice. :)
This is good advice. It’s certainly possible at this point the fish are simply so injured and stressed from the earlier nitrogen cycling water quality crisis that they are continuing to succumb to opportunistic infections, but having an expert take a look could guide you as to whether you need to provide addition treatments or support to save the rest. Sorry you’ve lost so many :(

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Your pH is fine. It's not too high. Goldfish will thrive in pH from 7 to 10 as long as that level is stable and consistent. A fluctuating pH is dangerous, not one at the level of yours.

I don't understand what you mean about the nitrate being toxic at 55. If that were the case, all my fish would have died years ago.

Reaction score
I don't understand what you mean about the nitrate being toxic at 55. If that were the case, all my fish would have died years ago.
The API test kit said it needs to be under 40ppm, and this seemed to be repeated in brief googling, hence my concern. Perhaps I mistook the advice and it should have been "recommended" under 40ppm, but not "toxic" marginally above.

Reaction score
Thanks! I did seek advice initially, albeit the expert also runs a shop so maybe conflicted interests. He diagnosed and suggested the anti fungal/parasite treatment, which is what I've been using thus far. I can go back to him this week as now the course of treatment has finished I (and water quality now at levels which shouldn't be fatal) would expect no more deaths. If there are I will see what else he suggests. I did look briefly into necrospy in my area. There is a vet college about an hour drive away that take any pet for autopsy for 150bucks. But they said its not a quick turn around, say 4-8 weeks!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Good to see your water parameters have improved. No matter what the problem is, good water will help.

I didn't realize there are so many differing opinions on what is a safe nitrate level. Some do indeed say over 40 is not desirable. Others say over 80. A chemist I respect says there is no problem until it gets over 200. Someone else kept their fish in water with a nitrate level over 400 with no ill effects.

The only thing I know for sure is that the nitrate in my pond has always been over 40 or at best right at it. It doesn't seem to matter how many plants I add or how often I do water changes. It's always anywhere from 40 to even close to 80. I've never had a fish with any symptoms of nitrate poisoning, never, and I've had some of my current fish for at least 9 years.

So what actually is a toxic level of nitrate? Is there really such a thing? With all those different opinions, I have to wonder.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Took a photo of the latest casualty. Looks to be a perfectly normal fish from the sides (thats a cat hair across its body!). Underneath is red around the gills and fins, but I dont know if that is normal for a goldfish?
20220704_083808_001.jpg
20220704_083748.jpg

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
10a/sunset zone 23
Country
United States
Took a photo of the latest casualty. Looks to be a perfectly normal fish from the sides (thats a cat hair across its body!). Underneath is red around the gills and fins, but I dont know if that is normal for a goldfish?
View attachment 152300View attachment 152299
Kryten - it’s been almost a month - did things improve in your pond? What you are showing, hemorrhaging under the ski is not normal, and is usually a sign of a systemic infection.

Reaction score
I continued with the full 5 day fungal/parasite treatment, and also continued with Prime to treat the water whilst it returned to good ammonia/nitrite levels. Unfortunately the fish continued to die off for another couple of weeks, which I suspect was them succombing to damage done by the original poor water condition. However, no deaths now for the past 10 days or so, and the remaining fish look happy enough.

The pond is in the process of having a new liner fitted, and a bog filter installed. So onwards and upwards hopefully!

Ask a Question