Fish Dying - white peeling slime

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Good to see your water parameters have improved. No matter what the problem is, good water will help.

I didn't realize there are so many differing opinions on what is a safe nitrate level. Some do indeed say over 40 is not desirable. Others say over 80. A chemist I respect says there is no problem until it gets over 200. Someone else kept their fish in water with a nitrate level over 400 with no ill effects.

The only thing I know for sure is that the nitrate in my pond has always been over 40 or at best right at it. It doesn't seem to matter how many plants I add or how often I do water changes. It's always anywhere from 40 to even close to 80. I've never had a fish with any symptoms of nitrate poisoning, never, and I've had some of my current fish for at least 9 years.

So what actually is a toxic level of nitrate? Is there really such a thing? With all those different opinions, I have to wonder.

Last edited:
Ad

Advertisements

Reaction score
Took a photo of the latest casualty. Looks to be a perfectly normal fish from the sides (thats a cat hair across its body!). Underneath is red around the gills and fins, but I dont know if that is normal for a goldfish?
20220704_083808_001.jpg
20220704_083748.jpg

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
10a/sunset zone 23
Country
United States
Took a photo of the latest casualty. Looks to be a perfectly normal fish from the sides (thats a cat hair across its body!). Underneath is red around the gills and fins, but I dont know if that is normal for a goldfish?
View attachment 152300View attachment 152299
Kryten - it’s been almost a month - did things improve in your pond? What you are showing, hemorrhaging under the ski is not normal, and is usually a sign of a systemic infection.

Reaction score
I continued with the full 5 day fungal/parasite treatment, and also continued with Prime to treat the water whilst it returned to good ammonia/nitrite levels. Unfortunately the fish continued to die off for another couple of weeks, which I suspect was them succombing to damage done by the original poor water condition. However, no deaths now for the past 10 days or so, and the remaining fish look happy enough.

The pond is in the process of having a new liner fitted, and a bog filter installed. So onwards and upwards hopefully!

Ad

Advertisements

Ask a Question