Fish keep dying in my backyard pond

Reaction score
Country
United States
About a month ago I had a heron get into my ponds which I have two and ate all of my fish my top Pond had 8 small bluegill in it that my son had caught and I've had them for a year my lower pond had about 28 goldfish numerous sizes some I had for three years others only a year or two anyway I thought that all the Goldfish were gone in the lower pond and because of health issues I hadn't changed the water. The water got murky was very green you couldn't see in it but the filter was still going barley.so two weeks ago I cleaned out the top pond because I was going to buy new fish. Well my son put about 20 minnows in there he had left over from fishing. They started dying off I don't know why because the water had been filtering about a week with nothing in it. So after all of them were dead I decided to clean both ponds yesterday and start over. I cleaned the top pond put declorinater and algie fix in it. So I started draining the lower pond and found there was 1 bluegill and 5 goldfish living in thay nasty green murky water . so I got the Goldfish and bluegill out of the lower Pond put them in the top pond how they survived in that water I have no idea. I put some buckets with rocks in the pond so that they can go into hide until I could clean out the lower Pond that had the lily pads. The buckets had been use in the ponds before I just rinsed them with the rocks they have been in the ponds for many years. So I went out there this morning and they're all dead again I don't know what's wrong with my water if there is something in my water how do I find out to test my water what should I do I don't want to put any more fish in there until I find out I still haven't seen the bluegill but I'm sure he's not doing well either I need help to find out what's killing my fish I know the Heron did the first time but what killed all these fish that have been put in that pond and the pond water has been cleaned twice I've had ponds for about 10 years so I know how to clean it I know how not to clean out all the beneficial bacteria I don't wash the Rocks I just rinsed the pounds out and drain out the water put fresh water and put the correct chemicals in it that is supposed to go in there. I am so hurt that these fish that survived the heron been living in nasty murky water . I put them in a nice clean filtered pond and they die. Please help...

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
First off, green water doesn't necessarily mean unhealthy water and clear water doesn't necessarily mean healthy water.

Some of this may or may not pertain to you.
Without more details we're just guessing.

You need to get to the root of the problem. The cause of the algae bloom is the question. Quick fixes or band aid procedures will only delay the process.

Every time you empty and refill your pond you are delaying the natural processes. We call it new pond syndrome. The new water has an algae bloom because it's nature's way of protecting the ecosystem. The algae are plants which feed on the excess nutrients caused by fish waste.
When you empty and clean your pond, you are also are removing all sorts of beneficial microorganisms. There's all kinds of good critters living in there. Ponds should not hospital clean.

Get an api pond test kit. The one with the liquid reagents. Don't use the test strips, they tend to be inaccurate.
Until you know all the test results, we are only guessing.

Stop adding algaecide.
There have been countless posts here where people use so-called fish safe algaecide and all their fish died.
If you want clear water, there are natural ways to combat algae.
Adding lots of plants to compete with the algae is the best way. It won't happen overnight, so you have to be patient.

We need more details of your ponds. How many gallons do they hold?

Details of filters, pumps.
Inadequate filtration can contribute to an algae bloom.

How many fish? What types of fish? How large are they?
You might have too many fish for the amount of water in your ponds. Algae could be thriving on all that fish waste.

Add lots and lots of plants.

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
The minnows from your sons fishing are bait fish and could possibly have brought something into the ponds. How did you clean the ponds? Any chemicals used? I agree with @poconojoe regarding the algae fix- lots of people have had fish die from using those products.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Hello and welcome!

A few questions…..and a few comments….. So I will ditto what @poconojoe said above.

Please post some pictures of your pond(s) and give us more information.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
1624726225048.gif
@Crystallblue

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Welcome to the forum

We will try to help you more information and pictures always help us.

Ask a Question