fish in shallow pond

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
a good portion of my pondsat the 24 to 26" level and i also keep koi...no problems...your concern may be winters if the pond is going to freeze over, how deep will it freeze? but an airline and pump usually suffice to keep a hole in the ice for gas exchange. or you do as i do andwinter your fish indoors...i have a pond in the basement for winter....
https://www.gardenpondforum.com/fish-video-else-t4899.html

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
a good portion of my pondsat the 24 to 26" level and i also keep koi...no problems...your concern may be winters if the pond is going to freeze over, how deep will it freeze? but an airline and pump usually suffice to keep a hole in the ice for gas exchange. or you do as i do andwinter your fish indoors...i have a pond in the basement for winter....

Reaction score
koiguy1969 said:
Thanks for the info, the pond shoudnt freeze more than an inch or so in the winter.

Reaction score
koiguy1969 said:
Thanks for the info, the pond shoudnt freeze more than an inch or so in the winter.

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
i like having the basement pond...i enjoy my guys year round! and none of that winter stress! did you watch the video, "fish video, what else"?...its the basement pond

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
i like having the basement pond...i enjoy my guys year round! and none of that winter stress! did you watch the video, "fish video, what else"?...its the basement pond

Reaction score
My pond only 30" deep and my Koi are thriving. I do wish I had gone deeper but I would have needed dynamite to do it. I think you'll be fine just keep some circulation going during the cold months.

Reaction score
My pond only 30" deep and my Koi are thriving. I do wish I had gone deeper but I would have needed dynamite to do it. I think you'll be fine just keep some circulation going during the cold months.

Reaction score
koiguy1969 said:
where is the video, could you send a link?

Ask a Question