Gold fish question

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Gold fish are gulping air from the top of the pond. I thought they were hungry but they weren't interested in food.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Possibility A) - They aren't getting enough oxygen. Do you currently have water movement via a waterfall or aerator?

And/Or

Possibility B) - They are stressed due to water conditions. Test your water for Ammonia, Nitrite and Nitrate.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
A good dose of Pond Prime will help neutralize the ammonia until you can get things under control.

Do you know the source of your excess ammonia? Overfeeding, hidden dead fish body, excess debris, pond not fully cycled, or over cleaning or shutting down filtration?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Pond is only 4/5 weeks old.No dead fish-no over feeding.I added Pond Prime last week for the second time.It seems to be getting better.

Attachments

• Test # 4.jpg
    Test # 4.jpg
    189.9 KB · Views: 327
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
2a
Country
Canada
Hi Phil,
I think I noticed in another thread that you had a very low water temperature.
In lower water temperatures, ammonia is not toxic to fish, so I think your fish are safe.
The flip side is that nitrifying bacteria will be slow to reproduce and oxidize nitrogen in it's various forms, so the toxic ammonia (NH3) will be around for a while.
It would be helpful if you could regularly post your water parameters - ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, PH and water temperature in the same thread so we can help you keep track of how your pond is progressing.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Also note, that adding Prime just helps to neutralize the ammonia, not remove it. This is why test readings, as indicated on your note, will continue to show up.

As your pond is new, it has not fully cycled. Colder weather may slow the process. Ammonia levels can be more, or less, toxic, depending on the pH of your water as well. Continue to run your filter, and do not over-clean it. Added aeration may help if your fish are still continuing to gasp at the surface.

Not sure if you posted information elsewhere, but perhaps if you share the size of your pond and the number/size/type of fish that you have, it could also be helpful - on this thread.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Pond size is 600 Gal. About 24 small gold fish.Two waterfalls and a bubbler.
This is the latest water test after two doses of Prime.

Attachments

• Test # 4.jpg
    Test # 4.jpg
    189.9 KB · Views: 294
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
It looks like the water is getting better. BUT i made a mistake of not quarantine the newly added fish. I saw 1 gold fish laying sideways on the bottom of the pond.Thought it was dead but after tapping it to my surprise it just swam away.Should i treat the pond for parasites?

Attachments

• Last Test 12:25:18.jpg
    Last Test 12:25:18.jpg
    200.2 KB · Views: 296

Ask a Question