Pond Winter 4.jpg
    95.8 KB · Views: 324
  • Pond Winter 2.jpg
    Pond Winter 2.jpg
    96.9 KB · Views: 338
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
That's awesome! Protection in so many ways...weather, predators... I don't mean to be a buzz kill, but I'm just wondering about the possibility of lack of sun though. Would that even be an issue? Hopefully not. If so, some clear or semi-clear plastic.

Reaction score
That's awesome! Protection in so many ways...weather, predators... I don't mean to be a buzz kill, but I'm just wondering about the possibility of lack of sun though. Would that even be an issue? Hopefully not. If so, some clear or semi-clear plastic.
Yes it's about as good as it gets protection wise. I use a combination of artificial lights sources to stimulate sun light. On a timer run fro 7 am to 5 pm simulating the day light hours. Seems to work just fine lol!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Yes it's about as good as it gets protection wise. I use a combination of artificial lights sources to stimulate sun light. On a timer run fro 7 am to 5 pm simulating the day light hours. Seems to work just fine lol!
Great! It's like an outside haven in there! Not only for the fish and plants, but for you too! I'm jealous! My wife would love that too! I was looking at those small greenhouses for my wife. She's a big time plant lover. I never thought about doing that to the pond. You got me thinking...

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
I like how you're able to roll up the sides when you don't need full cover. What's the length and width of that? Did you build it yourself or buy it?
My neighbor had a cheapo "temporary" garage thing not nearly as good as that. Yours looks much more sturdy. His was no way as strong looking. I told him to add some more pipes for extra reinforcement, but he didn't listen. The first snow storm calapsed it onto his jeep. Scratched the jeep up bad.

Reaction score
Great! It's like an outside haven in there! Not only for the fish and plants, but for you too! I'm jealous! My wife would love that too! I was looking at those small greenhouses for my wife. She's a big time plant lover. I never thought about doing that to the pond. You got me thinking...

It has made all the difference in the world with so many benefits. I bought it as a kit for around $400 I think. It measures 10 x 20 feet and is VERY sturdy. I anchored more than required and even in the strongest wind gusts it stays put. I've had 18 inches of snow built up on it with no problems. But I usually clear the snow. I leave it yup until about March. I roll up the sides and take off the front and back covers. It's three pieces in all. I keep the roof on for several months to keep all the spring buds and tree debris out of the pond. In April/May I take off the roof. Usually put the roof back on when the leaves start to fall. Then after the temps drop and the fish stop eating I put the sides down and front and back on. I clean out my bio filter and skimmer and close it all up. You can see how I line the bottoms with bricks and such. It's sealed pretty tight. usually 20 degrees or so higher inside than outside. I run aerators all winter long for oxygen but no need for a deicer. It never ever freezes over the least bit. What plants I do keep stay alive which otherwise might not survive this Ohio zone by the lake. It has a few eyelets on the covers so I can peek in a see if all is well. So overall it's one of the best investments I've ever made. In the beginning without the cover I was so stressed worrying about the snow, ice etc. lol. But now peace of mind!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
It has made all the difference in the world with so many benefits. I bought it as a kit for around $400 I think. It measures 10 x 20 feet and is VERY sturdy. I anchored more than required and even in the strongest wind gusts it stays put. I've had 18 inches of snow built up on it with no problems. But I usually clear the snow. I leave it yup until about March. I roll up the sides and take off the front and back covers. It's three pieces in all. I keep the roof on for several months to keep all the spring buds and tree debris out of the pond. In April/May I take off the roof. Usually put the roof back on when the leaves start to fall. Then after the temps drop and the fish stop eating I put the sides down and front and back on. I clean out my bio filter and skimmer and close it all up. You can see how I line the bottoms with bricks and such. It's sealed pretty tight. usually 20 degrees or so higher inside than outside. I run aerators all winter long for oxygen but no need for a deicer. It never ever freezes over the least bit. What plants I do keep stay alive which otherwise might not survive this Ohio zone by the lake. It has a few eyelets on the covers so I can peek in a see if all is well. So overall it's one of the best investments I've ever made. In the beginning without the cover I was so stressed worrying about the snow, ice etc. lol. But now peace of mind!
That would work for me! I have a lot of oak and maple trees, so I'm always battling leaves, buds, seeds, pollen etc...
Plus I'm in northeastern PA and the winters can be quite harsh.

Ask a Question