Fish Pond Skimmer Advice

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Thanks for talking this out, Meyer, Rob and Addy. Since I only have 5,100 gph and I'm told even less power comes of it due to linefeed, head pressure, etc. So I will now consider the 8 1/2 FP. Just a little torn now which way to go since Manufacturer of Savio and Reputable Pond Guy said bigger is better. I will eventually conclude which is best. Your input has been well taken.

Without knowing exactly how much (and what kind of) debris you will seasonally experience, all I can give is general advice. As you have already figured,your total flow rate will be somewhat less than the 5100 GPH pump rating. This would put you in the flow threshhold of the 8 1/2" faceplate. If this same flow is spread out over almost twice the width (16"), the pulling power of the water will be proportionately diminished. Debris could, at times, accumulate around the weir opening. Think of it in terms of pipe size. In comparing, lets say, a 2' pipe to a 4' pipe (twice the size). The flow rate through the 2 pipes will be the same when used on the same size pump but the water velocity in the 4' pipe will be about half that of the 2" pipe. The less velocity through the weir opening, the less pulling power of the water.
Sometimes bigger is not always better.

Ask a Question