Found a baby koi!

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Where there were 7 koi in my pond, now there are 8! I dont know why Im so excited. Its a tiny miracle! Do i need to do anything special for the little one?
Nothing special. When they are at the fry stage they eat algae and zooplankton. They will begin eating fish food when they become fingerlings.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Congratulations!!!! :)
I remember how I felt the first time I saw a baby in my pond, I was so excited!
Some might have issues with over breeding, I do not! The most babies I've ever found was 5, I'm glad Nature does the cooling for me, cause I don't think I could decide who lives, and who dies!

So how big is the lil guy?

callingcolleen1

mad hatter
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Country
Canada
Soooooo jealous! In all my many years of having koi, I have not ever had a baby koi, I get the odd baby goldfish, but most get eaten by all the dragonfly nymphs these days! My two oldest koi are about 25 years old, and I used to only have the two koi for many many years, and tons of goldfish. Last ten years I added more small koi and last year a new upper pond. The koi are getting very big now and I did see them breeding this year so I am hoping that some day I too will have a baby koi!

Reaction score
Country
United States
Congratulations!!!! :)
I remember how I felt the first time I saw a baby in my pond, I was so excited!
Some might have issues with over breeding, I do not! The most babies I've ever found was 5, I'm glad Nature does the cooling for me, cause I don't think I could decide who lives, and who dies!

So how big is the lil guy?
About 3"

Reaction score
Country
United States
Soooooo jealous! In all my many years of having koi, I have not ever had a baby koi, I get the odd baby goldfish, but most get eaten by all the dragonfly nymphs these days! My two oldest koi are about 25 years old, and I used to only have the two koi for many many years, and tons of goldfish. Last ten years I added more small koi and last year a new upper pond. The koi are getting very big now and I did see them breeding this year so I am hoping that some day I too will have a baby koi!
I think there may be another one because i saw one today when i was flushing the pond that looks bigger than one i was looking at before. Hmmmm. Maybe not. Wishful thinking.;)

Reaction score
Country
United States
Congrats! You may be surprised... there may be MANY more still hiding in the pond. Last year we had about a dozen show up around this time of year.
Really? Its not that small. Its about the length (about 2") and girth of my thumb.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Any pics?

callingcolleen1

mad hatter
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Country
Canada
That's my buddy down there, were 25 years old and have lived
IMAG1554.jpg
IMAG1566.jpg
IMAG2210.jpg
outside all winter our whole lives in Canada, and that's me, the little icon on upper left hand side of page, the one with the "big mouth" cause I always do the talking! ha ha ha

callingcolleen1

mad hatter
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Country
Canada
Thank you! My ponds run all year round and I think that is one of the main reasons my water is so clear. Plus I never disturb the "old soft lush algae growth" on sides of pond. All I ever do is clean the underwater filters, scoop any waste from bottom ponds in spring, and top up ponds as needed. Running ponds year round really is the main reason I truly believe.....

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Congrats on your baby Koi! I remember how much fun it was to see my first two baby goldfish 6 years ago and watching them as they grew and changed colors. Now they are big and rule the pond. I have only bought one fish since, and all of my 50 or so fish except for 3 have been born in the pond.

Ask a Question