j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
I had one in my aquarium once and I just let him/her stay there and it never bothered the fish or laid any eggs and then it just disappeared. Maybe a fish ate it? I at first thought it was creepy but after awhile I got to know him/her better. It mostly hung out down in the gravel. Think it came w/ a plant I ordered over the Internet. RIP to your leechy guy/gal :bye2:

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
j.w said:
I had one in my aquarium once and I just let him/her stay there and it never bothered the fish or laid any eggs and then it just disappeared. Maybe a fish ate it? I at first thought it was creepy but after awhile I got to know him/her better. It mostly hung out down in the gravel. Think it came w/ a plant I ordered over the Internet. RIP to your leechy guy/gal :bye2:
Thanks for the RIP, JW :) I guess if it was in a glass aquarium, where I could have kept an eye on it......as I do like to observe nature. But not knowing how many there are, etc. -- just a little too much for me.

OOOooops! It JUST occurred to me that I do have a 20 gal aquarium set up with one goldfish and a couple of rosy reds -- I coulda put it in there! Oh, well, maybe next time.....

HARO

Pondcrastinator
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
You KILLED one of God's little creatures?? But seriously, any time plants are grown in ponds there is the possibility of getting a leech on a plant. I wouldn't embark on a search-and-destroy mission unless I actually found one on a fish. Having worked - and played- extensively in northern Ontario, and often in water, I have shaved many a blood-sucker from my legs, but have never seen one on a fish! Don't lose any sleep over it.
John

DrCase

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
There is only one way to make sure you have rid your pond of leeches

Go out to your pond just after it. Gets dark , and hang a bare leg in for ten min each night for a week
After two days with no atachments. Pond is clear

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
There is only one way to make sure you have rid your pond of leeches

A really good idea Dr Cse lol but a less drastic measure could be taken here lol
Go out to your pond just after it. Gets dark , and hang a bare leg in for ten min each night for a week
After two days with no atachments. Pond is clear
Leeches after a little research will if given the chance connect onto your fish to suck its blood but only in large numbers are they harmful.
So I would suggest you keep an eye on their numbers, a trap set for them by using a little bit of congealed pigs blood in a stocking will bring them out, they then attach themselves to the stocking to eat their fill.
Its then that you pull the stocking from the pond with the leeches attached end of problem if not a good way to keep their numbers down

rgrds

Dave

Ask a Question