New found respect

ashirley

Annie in SC
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
I have a newly found respect for my fellow ponders in the colder climates. We have had temps in the low teens and single digits here for the past week. For the first time ever, my pond is almost completely frozen over. Yesterday, my pump froze which has never happened. It is driving me crazy!! I don't see how those of you whose ponds are frozen all winter can stand it. I am so worried about my fishy kids. I do have small submerged pumps keeping holes in the ice.

On a brighter note, its supposed to be in the high 60s by Friday so hopefully the end is in sight.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Just goes to show - we're all adaptable!

What do you mean, your pump froze? Is it submersible?

ashirley

Annie in SC
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
No it isn't and I am not sure how it happened as it never has before. Hopefully when it warms to the 40's today, I can get it restarted. I have a spare just in case of emergencies. I don't know if the water in the pipes froze and caused the pump to freeze or what. I do have a submersible one as well and it is still pumping fine which is keeping a fair sized hole in the ice.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
That would be my concern, that the pipes froze. But if your pump is external, then you do need to take some measures to protect it from the weather, or turn it off when it gets too cold.

We're really having some weather almost everywhere, aren't we? We are finally seeing some relief from the extreme cold we've had for the last two or three weeks... and now it's icy roads and snow! SPRING WHERE ARE YOU??

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
my go to tool since my heater broke
101_2968.JPG

ashirley

Annie in SC
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
We will definitely be taking measures to prevent this from happening again. I plan to install some pipe insulation and maybe a small structure to house the pump. I am so ready for spring.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I think all of us are saying that and temps. are going back up starting today

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I just look at it as the bitter we have to endure to make the sweet that much sweeter. It is a time to reflect and plan and rest a bit, so I appreciate that. But I can definitely do without the cold and snow!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I can't stand it. I hate winter. There's just not another option. I'd never move away from this area.
That^^^
As much as I hate not seeing my fish for weeks (months) I would never move away from here! Other than a few hard weeks (months) I love the rest of the year

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
I guess I should appreciate where I live as it is capable of ice and snow but hardly ever gets any. We know because of having had the cold temps that we need to be prepared for it so have learned what we can do to protect the pond and the house. -6f is the coldest we have had so now we watch more closely each year as winter arrives. So far so good after having pipes on garage wall split open the year of the surprise -6 winter. They are all insulated now, no thanks to the builder!
We all live and learn and try to create ways to keep moving onward toward a better plan.

Glad you all back there east of us are coming out of the ice box!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
2a
Country
Canada
Really cold weather is not to be taken lighty.
If you do find that something is frozen in ice, it's usually best to wait for the ice to slowly thaw instead of trying to dig it out.
Trying to pry or melt something free usually results in causing more damage.
You guys in the south are really getting the brunt of it this winter. We're above freezing here.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Rest what is rest .I am just trying to keep a hole in my ice for now until new de-icer comes .This week we are supposed to get back up to 50's so hoping it will be shared with all .

Ask a Question