Getting into koi pond

Reaction score
sissy said:
now that you got the great deal on fish that will change

Nah. Even if all survive and grow full size, Ill still only have less than 30 Koi in 50.000L of water. Not saying my filter requirements wont go up by a lot, but Im planning on expanding that significantly anyway. I just dont plan in putting in 20x the pumping capacity.

FWIW, I currently have 2x 8000L/h pumps (one in use for my iris filter bed, and one that will be used for a skimmer combined with small lavarock/plant filter and waterfall for the outflow, but thats yet to be built) and one 15.000L pump that goes to my DIY mechanical/ biological filter.

Now you might think 15k+8k+8k is pretty close to 50k of my pond. Thing is though, since my pond is only half full at the moment (therefore the pump head 1.5-2m or so), and Im using too thin hoses for the big pump, if I measure the *actual* flow of the 15K pump through my biofilter, its closer to 3000 liter/h, for currently a guestimated 20k liter pond.

Now that might be too little, or not, I will find out over the next weeks and months, so far it looks okay but its too early to tell, but Im not going to put in 15 of such pumps! I do plan on doubling the amount of biofilters though; I only have 3x 220 liter barrels at the moment, I will probably just daisy chain 2 or 3 more, or maybe add one more pump to serve the other 3 if only to be able to pump from a different location; the air pump, once it arrives should have ample capacity to aerate them all.

That said, maybe in 6 months ill have a stinking brown mudpool full of dead fish and I might have to rethink my theory :cool:

Ask a Question