Global Warming, Where do you stand?

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by MoonShadows, Aug 4, 2017.

1. MoonShadows

MoonShadows The Jam Man

I agree with you, Becky. It is a shame such an important topic always descends into chaos, but it is very difficult to discuss this topic when 1 member insults and degrades other members and their citations in a tirade of one-sided insults and self-minded publications when there are so many opinions that we need to look at to fully comprehend if we are going to understand this topic. I guess this topic just cannot be discussed on this forum, unlike it is on so many other forums, with someone who wants to "bully" his opinion across and really not discuss both sides. It is a shame!

Jim

MoonShadows, Aug 4, 2017
    DutchMuch likes this.
    1. Advertisements

2. MoonShadows

Meyer Jordan Tadpole

I personally have no problem with excluding any topic not directly related to aquatic habitats or landscaping/hardscaping. There are plenty of other forums that will provide an outlet for opinions on these topics.

Meyer Jordan, Aug 4, 2017
    DutchMuch and MoonShadows like this.
    1. Advertisements

3. MoonShadows

MoonShadows The Jam Man

You make a good point, @Meyer Jordan. So, perhaps this topic "General Chat" which often has nothing to do with aquatic habitats or landscaping/hardscaping should be eliminated from the forum. (?) Just keep everything to "everything ponds". Might be a good idea. I'd vote for that!

MoonShadows, Aug 4, 2017
    DutchMuch likes this.
  4. MoonShadows

adavisus

facts are not opinions. Insulting the intelligence of folk with frauds from propaganda websites, insults and degrades the forum

Some folk just cannot stop posting fraud

adavisus, Aug 4, 2017
  5. MoonShadows

DutchMuch Lord Of The Aquascapes!

I didn't mean to get everyone into an argument, I just liked the scientific point of view in the whole thing. @Becky it is highly unfortunate it had to be closed, but it was obviously shut down for Obvious reasons. :( .
    GW really does truly make me wonder some things, science as a whole does. Everything does.

Sorry guys
    Nate

DutchMuch, Aug 4, 2017
  6. MoonShadows

Meyer Jordan Tadpole

You are 16 years of age. It is healthy for you to wonder.

7. MoonShadows

Meyer Jordan Tadpole

Most of what is posted in the General Chat Forum has not been politicized to the extent that climate change/global warming has.

8. MoonShadows

MitchM

I like having a wide range of topics to discuss.
    It helps me understand the people I converse with.
    I don't have time for other forums.
    - and I never take anything posted online personally.

MitchM, Aug 4, 2017
  9. MoonShadows

adavisus

dutch, you want to look up polar bears, to see what scientists really do. they pulled back the polar bear from extinction by persuading american and russian governments to protect them from shooting. Wikipedia is a useful starting point. how they measured the problem, defined it to governments, how change saved the furballs

It is an inditement of modern times that less reputable breitbart type frauds have tried to use polar bears as an excuse to deny global warming

Which is killing them

adavisus, Aug 4, 2017
  10. MoonShadows

DutchMuch Lord Of The Aquascapes!

heeeck no, this'll ruin your life if you do :)

DutchMuch, Aug 4, 2017
  11. MoonShadows

adavisus

I take fraud personally, folk I know have been killed by fraudsters

adavisus, Aug 4, 2017
  12. MoonShadows

MoonShadows The Jam Man

But the General Chat topics actually could be posted under other "pond" threads. This would eliminate any "political" discussions.

MoonShadows, Aug 4, 2017
  13. MoonShadows

MitchM

That's unfortunate.
    My experience with fraud is to see someone try to influence someone else for either political or financial gain.

MitchM, Aug 4, 2017
    DutchMuch and MoonShadows like this.
  14. MoonShadows

JBtheExplorer Native Gardener

There are a lot of long-time members that enjoy talking about things other than just ponds together. We all have ponds, they're a big hobby for us all. That hobby brought us together, but to be able to talk about other things is what brings this ponding community closer.

I personally enjoy the "General Chat" section of the Garden Pond Forum as much as I enjoy the pond sections. I like talking about nature, wildlife, native gardening, and many other things, most recently, my awesome trip to Airventure. I also enjoy reading what other people have to going on outside of their pond worlds. Removing that section of the GPF wouldn't be an appropriate solution to the problem.

Personally, I think it's fairly easy for members to avoid starting topics that are likely to start serious arguments, especially when related to politics, but I think it's even easier to just not argue. If a topic makes you mad, sometimes it's best just to ignore that post and focus on the positive posts, and this is one of the most positive, friendly forums on the internet.

Let's all remember that the majority of us installed ponds to have a relaxing hobby, to have an escape from the problems of the world. To help add a bit of peacefulness to our lives.

JBtheExplorer, Aug 4, 2017
  15. MoonShadows

adavisus

Some fraudsters lie themselves into jobs where they can get their jollies, tamper with food. A speciality dish might have visine sloshed on diabetics food, to trigger heart attacks.

Some might t-bone trucks loaded with migrant workers, A) because they hate mexicans B) they want to swing a disabillity claim (my back hurts) forever.

Another, might defraud folk over pond installs, grab the deposits and run, knowing his hated step parent will be ruined by legal costs, to their amusement.

On facebook, foreign governments, crooks peddle denier frauds to bait dumb folk, knowing if these folk are stupid enough to believe this, they are easy to rob....

you can find some seriously weird folk, doing fraud

adavisus, Aug 4, 2017
  16. MoonShadows

MitchM

There will always be criminals in our midst.
    The best and most a person can do is to educate themselves whenever they hire someone else to perform work that themselves otherwise could do.
    I never like asking a question I don't already know the answer to, and I don't hire someone to fix something that I don't already know what it takes to fix.
    I also don't eat out at places without knowing their reputation to some extent.
    I learned how to cook because I don't like surprises such as what you described.

The poor and undereducated are certainly at a disadvantage.

MitchM, Aug 4, 2017
    peter hillman likes this.
  17. MoonShadows

adavisus

Yup, the crooks are always among us. Fact checking stuff is a useful way to identify such hazards

Had a restaurant manager done background checks on the cooks he hired, my wife would still be alive

adavisus, Aug 4, 2017
  18. MoonShadows

MitchM

That's terrible.
    Food service people can do the most damage to an individual.

MitchM, Aug 4, 2017
    peter hillman likes this.
  19. MoonShadows

peter hillman Let me think for minute....

I feel it's a lot like Y2K.... believe if it makes you feel better.

peter hillman, Aug 4, 2017
  20. MoonShadows

CometKeith

Adavisus. I'm so sorry for your loss. I can't imagine how that would affect me as I have never had anyone in my family affected by a serious crime. My deepest sympathies to you.
    I don't think any intelligent person will deny that climate change is a huge issue. It's just a matter that some people are willing do do more about it than other people. We were given this fantastic planet called earth to be our home. Hopefully we don't screw it up.
    Re: having intelligent conversations with each other. It's much easier to be more expressive in the written word to a faceless person than if you would have the same conversation in person. It sounds like Dutch Much is maybe 40 or 50 years younger than you so he is going to take it differently than if you were talking to one of your friends. You don't see a need to beat around the bush and talk politely when the topic is important and you want to make a point. I am like that a lot too.
    This past year I went to see the movie "Fences" with my daughter who is 37 years younger than me. We could not agree on a single thing . She saw the star of the movie being played by Denzel Washington as the meanest SOB on the planet who needed to be put out of his misery in a scene where he had a conflict with his son. I saw it a little differently. Because of the era of the movie it reminded me of how in that time period people maybe acted and thought a little differently. His attitudes towards a lot of things weren't good and he was affected by a lot of things but I didn't think he was so terrible that he should be killed. We didn't talk for the next 24 hours even though she was visiting from out of state only for a few days. If this could happen between myself and my daughter who I love dearly how easy is it to get in a confrontation with someone on line that you never met. Maybe we all need to learn a little about each other before entering into serious conversations.
    Dutch Much. You seem like a very bright young person. Generally most of the active posters on this forum like to keep things pretty light and have things enjoyable. When I describe the forum to people I know the first thing I say is how nice everyone is. Most of the very unpleasant people who have been on GPF in the past are not active anymore thankfully (i.e. WB) and to be honest when things get too acrimonious people will avoid the forum. There really isn't any benefit to anyone to have an argument on any of the threads about current affairs etc. As Mitch and others have put it most of us see ponding as a relaxing hobby (listening to the water and watching the fish is my yoga) and want to keep it that way!

Last edited: Aug 5, 2017
    CometKeith, Aug 5, 2017
    Nyboy, DutchMuch and MoonShadows like this.
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question