Global Warming, Where do you stand?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
2a
Country
Canada
There will always be criminals in our midst.
The best and most a person can do is to educate themselves whenever they hire someone else to perform work that themselves otherwise could do.
I never like asking a question I don't already know the answer to, and I don't hire someone to fix something that I don't already know what it takes to fix.
I also don't eat out at places without knowing their reputation to some extent.
I learned how to cook because I don't like surprises such as what you described.

The poor and undereducated are certainly at a disadvantage.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Yup, the crooks are always among us. Fact checking stuff is a useful way to identify such hazards

Had a restaurant manager done background checks on the cooks he hired, my wife would still be alive

peter hillman

Let me think for minute....
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
3-5
Country
United States
I feel it's a lot like Y2K.... believe if it makes you feel better.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Adavisus. I'm so sorry for your loss. I can't imagine how that would affect me as I have never had anyone in my family affected by a serious crime. My deepest sympathies to you.
I don't think any intelligent person will deny that climate change is a huge issue. It's just a matter that some people are willing do do more about it than other people. We were given this fantastic planet called earth to be our home. Hopefully we don't screw it up.
Re: having intelligent conversations with each other. It's much easier to be more expressive in the written word to a faceless person than if you would have the same conversation in person. It sounds like Dutch Much is maybe 40 or 50 years younger than you so he is going to take it differently than if you were talking to one of your friends. You don't see a need to beat around the bush and talk politely when the topic is important and you want to make a point. I am like that a lot too.
This past year I went to see the movie "Fences" with my daughter who is 37 years younger than me. We could not agree on a single thing . She saw the star of the movie being played by Denzel Washington as the meanest SOB on the planet who needed to be put out of his misery in a scene where he had a conflict with his son. I saw it a little differently. Because of the era of the movie it reminded me of how in that time period people maybe acted and thought a little differently. His attitudes towards a lot of things weren't good and he was affected by a lot of things but I didn't think he was so terrible that he should be killed. We didn't talk for the next 24 hours even though she was visiting from out of state only for a few days. If this could happen between myself and my daughter who I love dearly how easy is it to get in a confrontation with someone on line that you never met. Maybe we all need to learn a little about each other before entering into serious conversations.
Dutch Much. You seem like a very bright young person. Generally most of the active posters on this forum like to keep things pretty light and have things enjoyable. When I describe the forum to people I know the first thing I say is how nice everyone is. Most of the very unpleasant people who have been on GPF in the past are not active anymore thankfully (i.e. WB) and to be honest when things get too acrimonious people will avoid the forum. There really isn't any benefit to anyone to have an argument on any of the threads about current affairs etc. As Mitch and others have put it most of us see ponding as a relaxing hobby (listening to the water and watching the fish is my yoga) and want to keep it that way!

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
My antennae go up and the radar starts pinging the moment I detect three fraudulent statements of very iffy origin

Especially when the origin is the propaganda activities of political entities dedicated to destroying democracy

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
I'm sorry to hear about your wife, @adavisus :(

I think we've established that the topic of global warming is massively divisive, and through the passionate expressing of opinions someone is always going to take offence.

It's frustrating to see that this topic started just after I closed the other one, but I understand if you want to discuss why it was closed. Therefore I'm happy to keep this topic open as long as it doesn't become a discussion about global warming itself.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
@adavisus - I am sorry about your wife. What a tragic loss.

One of the biggest challenges in life it to learn to disagree without being disagreeable. Too many topics of debate instantly fall to the lowest levels of name calling and insults. There's always another way to get your point across without being debasing and denigrating. Learning to debate used to be an art form - now we all just scream and shout and hashtag the topic to death. It's too bad. Few issues are so black and white or cut and dried that we cannot learn from each other - there's truth on both sides of almost every hot bed issue. And if we can't agree, then we need to learn to agree to disagree and move on. I'm sad when I hear of families being destroyed over political differences or differences of opinion about anything, really.

I am always a bit surprised that this particular topic gets people so heated up (haha! Get it?) but it never fails. I watch the arguments on both sides with interest. "Science" likes to pretend it has all the answers - and yet sometimes we find out that "science" got it wrong.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Dutch, wheel have none
of you making puns
unless a tired Lisa K
says it's okay.

heh

Reaction score
What I would really love to see would be a debate between experts on both sides of the topic. Everyone knows what the "facts" are that support global warming but how many know what the other side is countering with? I find very few people are willing to listen to both sides.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
global warming is caused by all of us .The world is over populated .No one person caused it we all caused it .We can't feed the people we have and we can't afford to keep paying these lazy people sit home and not work but have babies and then they neglect them abuse them ,kill them and the money they get is used for drugs alcohol and partying .They say we owe them ,how I don't know .I get sick of reading about the child abuse and neglect just for a paycheck from the government :mad::mad:I worked I had 2 sons

Reaction score
People adapt to change as long as its not over night. If the earth was proven to be cooling off (as the scientists proved in the 70's) then we would be looking at much bigger problem that if it was warming (as they are proving in the 2000's). I'll take a longer growing season over a shorter one Ill take too much food over too little food and I'll take a Florida winter over a Minnesota winter, I would rather turn on a fan than turn on the furnace. Florida summers are hot but not as hot as Nevada summers so everyone has a different standard. As Mark Twain said "the coldest winter I ever spent was a summer in San Francisco".

Ask a Question