Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
How big is your pond?

I have fallen in love with Wakin & Watonai! I don't know if they're technically considered "fancy" or not, because they are actually old breeds that went out of popularity. And, they are very hardy gold fish. They're hard to find, and so far online has been my only option, but they are lovely. I'll try to find some links. I love these fish! They have the body of a comet, but the tail of a fantail (Watonai have the fancier tail).

These are pics of the last 3 I purchased.
image.jpg

Watonai
image.jpg

Wakin
image.jpg

Wakin

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
I'd love to be able to keep some fancy tailed ones here but wonder if they would die from the cold. Don't want to have to cover them.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
You pond is just beautiful :) Thanks for sharing.. now my fish addiction spike again...

Turtle mommy, I've been looking into them for a while but the price just not right :(
If you have babies of these I'd love to buy some from you.

slakker

AKA Mike
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
I kept an oranda in my pond this past winter. Had ice on it for 3 months. Lived.

That's really encouraging as mine are orandas as well and our winter is nothing like a Michigan winter. My wife just loves them and she gave them the nickname of our little "cows".

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I'd love to be able to keep some fancy tailed ones here but wonder if they would die from the cold. Don't want to have to cover them.
The Wakin & Watonai would most likely survive as they are very hardy.
You pond is just beautiful :) Thanks for sharing.. now my fish addiction spike again...

Turtle mommy, I've been looking into them for a while but the price just not right :(
If you have babies of these I'd love to buy some from you.

Yes, they ARE expensive! I only have a few. I don't breed my fish, and this is only the 2nd season I've had spawn, but last year I did have one cute little guy that I'm pretty sure is a Wakin. This year, so far, all of the babies I've "rescued" have single tails. But, who knows, maybe one day I'll be adventuresome and try to breed some.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5a
Country
United States
Very cute fish TM.

I have one fancy goldfish in my pond. He wintered just fine with the comets. He needs a little friend though as they are too fast for him. But it is so cute to watch him wiggling away swimming with the others.

Ask a Question