Golfish dying 1 by 1.

hewhoisatpeace

Evil Genius
Reaction score
My pond stays in the 80's (not enough plant coverage yet). A couple of days it has even hit 90. My koi and goldfish seem to be doing very well. I only feed once per day, to cut down on DOC and phosphates, but they seem to be cheerful and inquisitive. Sure do grow fast, too.

Reaction score
Well, yeah, Doc, but you know about DO and I'm sure you've taken steps.

Another idea, this is probably not it since you say you bought a kit. Some EPDM is not safe for fish. I'm pretty sure the non-fish safe EPDM is cheaper than fish-safe, so whoever markets the kit you bought may have cut some corners.

Reaction score
Thanks for all your help and suggestions. Here are a few answers to questions posed. My pond is 2 feet deep. I filled with tap water and treated it for chlorine and left it for 3 days before adding fish. The kit was from Algreen and is reputable and the EPDM is fish safe, as are all the other parts. the kit was not cheap by any means. i did a lot of research and made a conscious choice to spend the money for quality.
I have bought an Ammonia test kit. My plan is to test for Amonia, empty half the rocks at the bottom so there is only a single layer and see where I go from there. If I lose anymore fish, my plan is to give them to another more successful pond for the rest of the year and next year dig a deeper, bigger pond and hope that works better.

hewhoisatpeace

Evil Genius
Reaction score
Sounds like a good plan. Really think about the DIY filter and no rocks in pond. You won't see the liner, really, either way (good brown algae).

rdk

Reaction score
My pond is 300 gals, 2 foot deep: I have 6 goldfish and they love the pond. Going on year number two, No problem, very cold winter here in Conn. They seemed to enjoy the winter. RDK

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
Another reason to keep rocks out is:
You never know the composition of the rock. It may contain poisonous elements that slowly dissolve and poison the fish or alter the PH.

Reaction score
4X6 -
I'd suggest shooting for 3 feet deep. 3 feet is about what a 6 foot tall guy can dig and still throw the dirt into a wheelbarrow. If you don't mind moving the dirt twice you can go deeper and toss the dirt onto a tarp outside the hole.

3 feet looks deep enuf when it's full of water, and if you create a ledge for rocks, then dig straight down for the bottom, the liner isn't obnoxious looking.

Reaction score
Found the missing fish dead beside the arrowhead. No marks and aside from state of deadness would look healthy. Tested for ammonia and there was none. Took out some rocks so there is really just a scattering of them on the bottom. Did 20% water change (dechlorinated) and added laguna bio booster. 4 fish seem happy and are pigging out on stuff that got kicked up by my removing some rocks. Notice very tiny worm thing squiggling near the surface. Water is clear and at 79 degrees. Put some new rocks around waterfall box to further camouflage. Sat by pond watching fish and having a drink with my dog at my feet and thought "this is the life". Will let you all know how this goes.

Reaction score
4x6x2gold said:
No marks and aside from state of deadness would look healthy.

Well, at least you can find a little bit of humour in the situation. Good for you.

There've been several times when I've sat by the edge of our pond-in-progress with a drink and had similar thoughts. Are we delusional, under the influence, or just optimistic??

Little worm thing squiggling - sounds like mosquito larvae maybe?

Reaction score
You are not going to believe this, I have baby fish.I saw about 3 tiny little fish and comfirmed by google imaging golfish fry. I can't beleive it. After all my other issues this week...I am a grandmother! What do I do now!

Reaction score
Make sure they've got places to hide - some water lettuce or what have you. Do you think there's enuf algae in the pond or maybe they should be fed some goldfish flakes crunched into small bits??

I'm not an expert on rearing. All of our offspring have been accidental :)

digginponds

pondaholic
Reaction score
4x6x2gold said:
Thanks for all your help and suggestions. Here are a few answers to questions posed. My pond is 2 feet deep. I filled with tap water and treated it for chlorine and left it for 3 days before adding fish. The kit was from Algreen and is reputable and the EPDM is fish safe, as are all the other parts. the kit was not cheap by any means. i did a lot of research and made a conscious choice to spend the money for quality.
I have bought an Ammonia test kit. My plan is to test for Amonia, empty half the rocks at the bottom so there is only a single layer and see where I go from there. If I lose anymore fish, my plan is to give them to another more successful pond for the rest of the year and next year dig a deeper, bigger pond and hope that works better.

a bigger pond always can handle itself,much better than a smaller one.In this case the bigger is better.lol I went from a 400 to 1200..............
And as a hobbist we want bigger ponds ,bigger fish,bigger rocks,and soon.........

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
digginponds said:
a bigger pond always can handle itself,much better than a smaller one.In this case the bigger is better.lol I went from a 400 to 1200..............
And as a hobbist we want bigger ponds ,bigger fish,bigger rocks,and soon.........

yep you men always want bigger and better lol, well do us gals.

This is my 4th pond, and the biggest, most complex, but still fun. First one was 2x7x2 feet deep..........thought it was big at the time.

digginponds

pondaholic
Reaction score
4x6x2gold said:
You are not going to believe this, I have baby fish.I saw about 3 tiny little fish and comfirmed by google imaging golfish fry. I can't beleive it. After all my other issues this week...I am a grandmother! What do I do now!
nothing just allow them to grow.I use to take them out of the pond so the bigger fish didn't eat them.....

Reaction score
digginponds said:
nothing just allow them to grow.I use to take them out of the pond so the bigger fish didn't eat them.....

The fish are still in there safe little hiding place. There are maybe only about 4 of them. I have had no new deaths, but the 2 shubunkins and biggest goldie are chasing the crap out of the other goldie. They did this to the last one that died, hopefully not the same problem. I guess no one recommends taking them out. They are very small, do you think they will grow big enough before winter?

Ask a Question